Incidental top cropping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcrabb22

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a new 20 gal kettle and I made a little too much wort for my (2) 6 gal Better Bottles. I put about 5 1/2 gal in each of a simple APA and pitched a packet of re-hydrated SA-05 in each. It took off in both BB's and thank goodness for the blow tubes.

I have separate containers of StarSan for each blow off tube and changed to fresh containers after 36 hours. When I emptied the milky mess I could not believe how much yeast was in the bottom of each container! Must of been at least a 1/2" layer in the bottom of each container. All that good yeast wasted!

But I now want to try a top crop procedure for real in the future.

Used 12gal liquid malt plastic barrels make an excellent fermenter, and will not waste any yeast. You will see an 11.5gal batch create about 2-3in of krausen before settling out nicely.

Rack straight into kegs.

Shake and harvest.

Just went down to my local ferment on premises make your own beer place. They go through ton's of LME. Sometimes they send them back to get the deposit (which you can pay), but sometimes you can get them for free.

Back