In the market for a conical. Help??!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewnskiinvt

Reaction score
I'm looking at getting a 14 gallon conical and I'm hoping I can get some advice from owners of both Blichmann and SS Technologies fermentors. Theres a pretty big price differential...is Blichmann THAT much better for the money?? I appreciate any and all input on this one. Thanks!

I have the 14 gallon SS Brewtech Conical, and I'm pretty familiar with the Blichmann Conical. In my opinion SS Brewtech is hands down a better value. Here are a few specific reasons why IMHO:

Fittings: Blichmann uses weldless and SS Brewtech uses sanitary welds. While Blichmann claims this to be an added feature due to the fact you can clean everything. In real life practice, I want to clean as little as possible and prefer the ease of use and flexibility of the triclamp. Plus, SS Brewtech has standard triclamp fittings, Blichmann charges extra for them.

Quality: As always Blichmann's quality is top notch, and in my opinion slightly better than SS Brewtech's, but not to the degree that I think warrants a closer look. I'm generally pleased with the quality of the SS Brewtech. While I don't know if Blichmann is making their conicals in the U.S. like they are their new kettles, expect SS Brewtech to be made in China, but of very sound quality. I also don't know if there is a difference in the gauge of the material their using.

Features: I like that the SS Brewtech can hold pressure, and has a pressure relief valve. I also like that they offer the FTSS, and that is probably one of the things you will need to consider... Do you have refer space for it, or will you need to make other arrangements? I also like that the SS Brewtech takes standard 3/8 casters, since lifting it full can be a bit tough on your back since its sort of awkward to hold a conical and walk with it with 12 gallons of wort. I think you have to buy the Blichmann castors separate, and they are pricey.

All in all, the price difference is obviously going to be your primary driver. Your probably concerned with SS Brewtech's quality vs. the known quantity that is Blichmann's quality. I can tell you first hand that I own a TON of Blichmann equipment, including their new Breweasy, and their quality is second to none. I simply love their products. In fact, I would have loved to have given Blichmann the business if their conical was more cost effective and flexible, but it's just not. It seems like it was great when it was one of the only ones on the market, but SS Brewtech has taken the home-brew conical to the next level.

Look at it this way, you could get an SS Brewtech with butterfly valves from brewers hardware, casters from amazon, and damn near and entire FTSS for the cost of just the Blichmann conical with triclamp fittings. nuff' said...

A photo of my rig for reference sake!

IMG_1214.jpg

Last edited:
Well said. I'm still waiting for my pair of 14 gallon chronicals to come into port but my reasoning for going with SS brew tech over Blichmann was for the same reasons you mention.

Plus, their customer service is top notch.

I have the ss and i like it side from the valves it comes with. I have their temp controller too, but haven't had to use it yet

I have the 12.5 gallon version of the stout conical sold here on ebay or directly from the stout website for a bit more...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-3-Gal-Con...515?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ae51f6b8b
(I should mention the SS brewing product is great and thier customer service is also top notch since I dealt with them myself when ordering two conical s for friends)
I love my stout conical though... for the $360 or so it cost with shipping you cant beat the value... its very heavy duty and made from very thick highly polished 304 grade stainless (much thicker than the ss ones not that it really effects performance at all) this makes it less likely to ever get dinged up.
and there are zero threads in any of the included ball valves (some people using the ss conicals have actually bought the stout valves to use with them)

the 12.5 gallon version also has a 1.5 TC fitting welded to the top unlike the pics of the 7.3 gallon one I linked... it comes with a barbed tc fitting too which helps when transferring under pressure with co2.

I like that the tank comes right out of the stand for easy cleaning in the sink. and the diameter is perfect to use one of these to control temps which works awesome with a glycol chiller btw (or cooler of ice water)
http://www.gotta-brew.com/products/cool-zone-cooling-jacket.html

IMG_20150213_083625_225.jpg

IMG_20150213_083655_529.jpg

Back