In Praise of Puterbaugh Farms/Hops Direct

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you call or email them they'll get you a quote on shipping.

I will do that. I like the idea of 60-70 cents/oz

I could drive to pick them up but it's about 200 miles and the shipping would have to be pretty outrageous to justify that to SWMBO!

Hops are so low right now, I just got my 3# plus order and considering another big order just on principle alone! Maybe I just start brewing IIPA's for a living....

I always wanted to do a marris otter, fuggles SMASH barley wine with 25# marris otter and a pound of fuggles. Now it would be financially feasable.

I think they are still shipping out 2008 hops. Reason being... I recieved 3 pounds yesterday from them. The Chinook (11.5%) and the Cascade (5.4%) were the same AA% as the ones I got last year. Either these are 2008 or they mix them to purposely get that AA% for one of there brewery clients? Does anyone know?

The Amarillo was a different AA% that last years so I am a little suspicious!

As a Canadian, I am looking forward to my order showing up. Placed the order a couple of days ago, 5 lbs, and it is being shipped for almost exactly $1.00/ oz. The LHBS is selling the common stuff for $7.00/2 oz. bag.

I just used some cascades on my last batch, and had to open up a 1lb bag from HopsDirect. I got:

4 oz for my brew
Filled 3 - 4 oz packages for the freezer
I still had 3.5 ounces left over after that.

I love it when 1lb = 19.5 ounces!!!

I did a bulk buy and shipping worked out to just $.05/ounce. Cascades were $.68/ounce, so 3.5 free ounces means I got $2.40 worth of hops. That more than accounts for paying $.80/pound for shipping.

I have not used their product(yet) and was wondering if their bags can be re-sealed using a "food saver" vaccum sealer?
Any thoughts?

Not likely. The reason for the "ribbed" side of Foodsaver bags is to create channels for the air to suck out of. Two flat surfaces and the foodsaver can't do anything.

I have not used their product(yet) and was wondering if their bags can be re-sealed using a "food saver" vaccum sealer?
Any thoughts?

you could seal it, but it won't be removing any of the air inside. I'm all for reusing bags, but if you have a foodsaver just use the foodsaver bags. As you use the hops, just cut and re-seal.

Any thoughts?

I've tried this and it doesn't work. Better off using a food saver compatible bag to reseal them once the original package is opened.

I'll just chime in, hops direct rocks! Ordered twice from them and always super happy with the quailty.

By the way, anyone know when the new crop of imported hops will be arriving?

as far as storage goes, I use 1/2 quart glass jars and fill them full...usually about 5 oz a jar and keep them in the freezer. It works great.

I just received my shipment. Each 1 lb package ranged from 2-7 ounces over. Or in other words, I ordered 5 lbs and got 6 lbs.

Has anyone been able to get an international shipping quote from them? I tried a couple times via e-mail a few months back without reply so I gave up.

It would be nice to be able to get hops for better than 12 yen / gram (aka about $60/lb)... i.e. they could charge $30 shipping to Japan on a pound of hops and I would still be happy.

Maybe I will give them another shot.

The UPS lady just got here. I am so happy! Now just waiting for my bulk DME to show up. I'll be relying on you guys for some recipes to use up some of the extra. 18oz for each! So really 10lbs for the price of 9. 63cents/oz.

photo.jpg

The UPS lady just got here. I am so happy! Now just waiting for my bulk DME to show up. I'll be relying on you guys for some recipes to use up some of the extra. 18oz for each! So really 10lbs for the price of 9. 63cents/oz.

photo.jpg

don't forget to figure that each bag weighs about .55 oz.....you got gypped, man! :D

My power went out for about 72 hours. I'm not too worried about the hops that were in the freezer during that time. I was away for the weekend so nearly all of my food got tossed. I accidentally threw out a pound of Cascade! It was in the dumpster for about 2 hours in 55 deg. F weather. The bag of hops was never opened so it had the original seal and it was in a trash bag with frozen foods (peas, sausage, boxed goods that were originally frozen, thawed, and then frozen again by the time I got to them). The bag was clean and had no odor to it. Any reason why I shouldn't use them?

My power went out for about 72 hours. I'm not too worried about the hops that were in the freezer during that time. I was away for the weekend so nearly all of my food got tossed. I accidentally threw out a pound of Cascade! It was in the dumpster for about 2 hours in 55 deg. F weather. The bag of hops was never opened so it had the original seal and it was in a trash bag with frozen foods (peas, sausage, boxed goods that were originally frozen, thawed, and then frozen again by the time I got to them). The bag was clean and had no odor to it. Any reason why I shouldn't use them?

They're fine!!:rockin:

Those hops are irreversebly damaged! Please send them to me and I will dispose of them. :mug:

I ordered 4lbs and they were all about 18oz. and it was $44 shipped to WV. Hopsdirect rocks.

Edit: I found my receipt it was actually $42 total. $.66 per ounce!!

I've got four Centennial rhizomes coming from Hopsdirect, estimated delivery date is in five days! I got a pound of Centennial pellets just for the hell of it!

Back