In praise of DIY PBW for beerstone!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonM

Reaction score
So my kettle, stainless hop filter and some other steel stuff had gotten a coating of beer stone and nothing would take it off.

I usually fill a bucket with homemade PBW and run it through my plate chiller and SS pump immediately after I finish chilling, so I decided to fill the kettle with about 6 gallons of PBW solution (6 gal is where the beerstone started), get it nice and hot with the burner, hook up the pump (and plate chiller because why not?) and just let it recirculate for an hour.

I should have taken before and after pics because the kettle has not looked this good since the day I brought it home. Same for the stainless hop filter, which was REALLY gunked up.

The recipe I use is: 70 grams oxyclean free, 30 grams Ace TSP 90, dissolved in 3 gallons of water. Of course, double it all for 6 gallons. Miraculous stuff.

Great recipe, i wish i could buy TSP here in Switzerland(its banned).

I use wash soda instead. Adding some oxyclean seems to be a good idea.

I've used the homemade version with the TSP 90 and the dishwashing powder (but.......I found an old container of real TSP in my basement, and have used that recently as well).

It's awesome, and I've been using it to clean an ancient linoleum floor in an old house I bought with my daughter. The floor looks new, and my brewery is clean. Great stuff for sure!

I also have Acid #5 for after the alkaline cleaning, but only used it once or twice since the homemade PBW did such an awesome job.

Back