In need of a good Golden Ale recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nexus555

Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm not sure if any of you have tried Flying Dog beers, but I do thoroughly enjoy the Golden Ale that they have. Good hop taste, just not as bitter/hoppy as a pale ale. I'm assuming it taste like an English Bitter (though I've never tried one.) Has anyone tried this, and if so, know of a good Golden Ale extract recipe? Thanks.

Funny you should ask, I am currently in the boil stage of a Full Sail Golden Clone. :mug: I have not brewed this before though so I can only hope it turns out as tasty as the original. I made a few small changes to the recipe but here it is if you care.

6lb pale malt extract
1lb light dry malt extract
8oz crystal malt 10 lovibond
8oz flaked rye
3oz Cascade Hops (6.1% AA) 1oz @ 60min, 1oz @ 30min, 1oz @ 2min.
Wyeast 1056

I changed it by using rye malt, some 2row pale malt, and 7lb of liquid pale malt extract. After all, It's fun to experiment.!

Is this a Belgian Golden Ale you're talking about? If so, it's nothing like a bitter--a bitter is smoothly malt-based with just a bit of bitterness to offset the malt. A Belgian Golden Ale is much stronger in terms of % ABV and has much stronger estery flavors--it's also golden in color, but bitter is a caramelly color. If it's not a Belgian, then I'm not sure what it is, exactly. Maybe the brewer just called it a 'golden ale' and it's something else? Now I'm curious, I'll Google it.

Edit: I just looked it up, you mean the Tire Bite Golden Ale? They list some of the specs for it:

Alcohol content: 5.1% ABV
Original Gravity: 1.046
IBU's: 17.5
Specialty Malts: Malted White Wheat, Munich Malt
Hops: German Perle, Hallertau

The ABV is closer to a bitter (which is usually 5% or less), but the hops and grain bill are very different. Bitters are usually made with Kent Goldings or Fuggles (or whatever English hops), and definitely not with wheat malts. But anyway, hope that the stuff off their website helps!

Edit Again: It won an award in 1998 in the Kolsch category--that explains why they called it a golden ale.

Yep that's it. Jeez, I didn't even realise it is a wheat. Oh well, I may just have to find something else to brew :)

It's not a wheat beer , it has some wheat in it though. The Tire Biter is brewed in the Kolsch style. I like this beer a lot. The after taste reminds me of a good chardonay wine. - Dirk

Back