In my primary (2days in)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djstaticburn

Reaction score
HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Sons of Liberty Ale
Author: Jim Sitzler

Brew Method: Extract
Style Name: American Brown Ale
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 4 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 1.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.142
Efficiency: 44.8% (steeping grains only)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.053
Final Gravity: 1.015
ABV (standard): 5.04%
IBU (tinseth): 26.24
SRM (morey): 21.98

FERMENTABLES:
3.3 lb - Liquid Malt Extract - Light (42.3%)
1 lb - Dry Malt Extract - Amber (12.8%)

STEEPING GRAINS:
1 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 60L (12.8%)
0.5 lb - Canadian - Honey Malt (6.4%)
1.5 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (19.2%)
0.5 lb - United Kingdom - Pale Chocolate (6.4%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Fuggles, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.5, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 9.34
0.5 oz - Willamette, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.5, Use: Boil for 50 min, IBU: 4.44
0.5 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Boil for 40 min, IBU: 6.37
0.5 oz - Willamette, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.5, Use: Boil for 30 min, IBU: 3.59
0.25 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Boil for 20 min, IBU: 2.2
0.25 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Boil for 2 min, IBU: 0.31

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05
Starter: No
Form: Dry
Attenuation (avg): 72%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Temp: 59 - 75 F
Fermentation Temp: 68 F

Brewed this two nights ago, pitched @ 68f @ 6am. the airlock is currently bubbling about 20 times a minute, (and started activity within 6 hours of pitching ):ban:, the wort tasted delicious. I am really excited about this one. If it turns out correctly i will be a very happy homebrewer! :tank:

ill keep this thread updated with pics and all that good stuff

Just tested the gravity of my Sons of Liberty brown ale, it's at 1.012-1.013 which is right at final gravity. Should be ready for the secondary in the next couple days. BTW ZOMG it tastes absolutely AMAZING! nice BIG caramel and honey flavor with a hint of chocolate on the finish, and the hop profile will make you smack your mom's mom, even a couple minutes after its gone the cascade hops are still very present on the after taste. A week in the secondary half of that cold crashing, two weeks in the bottle and it will be ready, and at this moment it's at 5.5% ABV, should be ready by the time Sons of Liberty premiers on history channel, very fitting. The smile on my face is as wide as the Mississippi right now!

STOP!! Just leave it in the primary for another 2 weeks. The yeast needs time to clean it self up. There is NO NEED to secondary unless you only have one primary and are ready to start a new brew. And if that was the case I'd buy another primary bucket.

I see where you pitched at 68* but what temp was it kept at. Hard to believe it's finished in 2 days.

C-Rider is giving good advise. Don't believe that things are done just because everything suddenly got quiet in the airlock. Also, don't believe the yeast are done because the gravity is at the written target. It isn't unusual for yeast to attenuate further than a recipe dictates. Besides, like C-Rider stated, the yeast need to clean up. Two more weeks in the primary will be the difference between making beer and making realy good beer.

I think while I'm waiting for that to finish up in the primary I'm going to grab a Coopers IPA a pound of DME, some magnum, Willamette and cascade hops. And I'll probably take the total volume down to about four and a half gallons instead of 5 get a little bit of a better flavor out of it, I've also got some bitter and sweet orange peel left over, from my Belgian Wit I may use those as well, do you think the orange peel would be a good addition

I agree, there isn't going to be much (if any) benefit to transferring a brown ale to secondary. Keep it in primary and let the yeast finish cleaning up. It looks like you tested the gravity at about day 7. It should be hit FG in about that time frame, but like previously stated, an additional week or 2 will be good for the yeast to clean up and for everything to drop out. I typically don't test mine until about 2 weeks. I'm sure it's done after 1 week, but I like to let it sit for an additional week or 2 before proceeding.

Latest posts

Back