in line liquid meter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

53sparks

Reaction score
Does any one know if there is something out there that would measure quarts or gallons inexpensively that i could just put inline from my hlt to mash tun? Thanks Ron

Not really. You could buy a top of the line sight glass for half the price of a flow meter. Put a sightglass on the HLT and stop draining it when you've removed the correct amount.

The only flow meters I know of are for industrial purposes, I don't know of anything that would work for such a small amount. They should exists though, right?

Best of luck to you.

I tried to find one with a digital or analog output signal, and I couldn't find one that I could afford. Even the mechanical versions with dials were REALLY expensive.

I was trying to avoid a sight glass, They make every thing else i thought there might be something like this out there.
Thanks Ron

I hear you on the stick, but then that means i have to use math! LOL

It would be pretty damn cool to have something that would tell you EXACTLY how much wort you collect

You could weigh the kettle to get a very accurate volume, but realistically there are much easier ways. A marked dip stick, a calculated conversion factor or level marks on the kettle itself would be much more practical. It's fairly easy to measure volumes to withing a qauart or so. That's exact enough for me.

jonathon that seems pretty cool, would you need a digital read out for that? How about quarts and gallons? what would that be USD?

You need a flowmeter with a totalizer function. They're really expensive.

You could also use a differential pressure gauge, although it's really just a more expensive way of using a sight glass.

jonathon that seems pretty cool, would you need a digital read out for that? How about quarts and gallons? what would that be USD?

Those are flowmeters, you would need to do some serious math to figure out how much you moved just based on the flowrate during the transfer. Brush off your calculus book.

Those are flowmeters, you would need to do some serious math to figure out how much you moved just based on the flowrate during the transfer. Brush off your calculus book.

Fairly basic really, according to the data sheet wich shows the calibration the zd1200 will pulse 93.9 +-9ppm @ 20lpm, small work for a small microprocessor or one of their $70
Electronic Flow Rate Meter with LCD

Good to know! I've been thinking that eventually I'll eliminate my hlt all together and just use a meter and inline heated water to sparge...

You still wouldn't need a flow meter for that. You just need a sight glass on your boil kettle so you can stop sparging when you hit your volume.

I've done this before and it did work, but I ended up with 8 gallons of steaming grain husk slurry to deal with after my sparge was finished...
I do need to check and see if these can handle 140F water temps...
Edit: They have a hot water meter listed, but I can't seem to find a price...

Back