In keezer keg storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NotSoNew2Brew

Reaction score
My buddy and I finished up a red ale last week, and I did not have the a fourth gas line. I have more kegs in keezer than I do gas lines. I have a 3 way manifold. I have kegged the red ale, purged it of O2, and pressurized the full keg leaving it in my keezer. I count only on the 'set and forget' method. It do not force carbonate.

Question; being the beer was freshly transferred in to keg from secondary (flat), and I pressurized it to 10 PSI, will a part of that CO2 in head space if keg be absorbed in to the beer? I assume it will to some degree. I ask because the pressure in the keg after a week of sitting there in the keezer dropped quite a bit. It is now being carbed, but I am curios. The keg does not have any leaks.

My first thought was CO2 leak, but I checked and double checked with a spray bottle filled with water and just a bit of dish washing soap for bubbles, nada.

Kegging is not a new thing for me, but kegging and leaving it flat and pressurized was.

please excuse brevity and typos

If your storing the keg unconnected to gas, and gave it 10 psi when racking, it wont gain much carbonation. There isnt much head space there. That 10 psi will go into solution pretty quickly as the beer cools down.

If I plan to store a keg unconnected, after purging the head space, I usually hit it with 30 to 40 psi and rock the keg for a while when connected to gas to allow some additional co2 to go into solution and maintain the keg seal.

Latest posts

Back