IN Brewery Recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoosier-Brewer

Reaction score
Do you have a recipe or clone that was shared by a local IN brewery?

This recipe was shared by Turoni's in Evansville for their Blue Eyed Moose IPA.

http://evansvilledining.com/articles/2011/blue-eyed-moose-ipa-.aspx

by:Jack Frey, Head Brewer, Turoni's Main Street Brewery

Blue-Eyed Moose IPA Beer

Grain needed:

7 lb. Pale malt

2 lb. Munich malt

1 lb. Biscuit malt

.5 lb. 60L malt

Mix crushed grain with hot water & mash at 155 degrees for 1 hour.

Sparge (rinse) grain with hot (175 degrees) water to fill kettle with 6 gallons liquid (wort).

Bring to boil & boil for 90 minutes.

Hop Additions to Boil:

.25 oz. Cascade & .25 oz. Fuggles at beginning of boil (90 Minutes).

.25 oz. Cascade & .25 oz. Fuggles with 45 Minutes until end of boil.

.25 oz. Cascade & .25 oz. Fuggles with 15 Minutes until end of boil.

1.0 oz. Cascade at end of boil.

Cool to 75 degrees, Pitch (add) yeast, US-05, & Ferment at 68 degrees.

Dry hop with Cascade hops (Add hops to fermenter).

Yields 5 gallons.

I have not tried it yet, but I plan to this summer. Thanks Jack! :mug:

I brewed this and just cracked one open after two weeks in the bottle. It has a three finger head and tastes great! I will definitely be brewing this again.

Thanks to Akervin and Yooper for the minim mash version, which is what I brewed.

Originally Posted by Yooper

You can do a mash with a grain bag in your brew kettle, so that's what I'd try.

Use the munich malt, the biscuit malt, and the crystal malt, crushed.
Combine the grains in a big grain bag, or two grain bags. You don't want to crowd them in there, so make sure they are loose in the bag.

Bring 6 quarts of water to 165 degrees, turn off the heat and add the grain bag(s). Stir very well, to make sure all of the grains are thoroughly wetted. Then stir some more, and check the temperature in a few places. It should be 152-156 or so. If it's too high, stir some more. If it's too low, turn on the heat for a minute. Once it's in that area, turn off the heat, cover the pot, and insulate it if you can with a blanket or towel. Let it sit for one hour.

While that is sitting, bring 1.5 gallons of water up to 170 degrees in another pot. When the hour is over, lift up the grain bags into a strainer, and hold over the brewpot. Pour that water over the grains to rinse them, until you hit your boil volume. You may have extra water in the pot, but that's ok if you can't fit it all in. Throw away the grains, and bring the resulting liquid up to a boil.

Add the hops according to the times. After you add the 15 minute hops, add 5 pounds light LME by taking the pot off of the burner and stirring it in. This is easiest if you've warmed up the LME a bit first in some hot water. Stick it back on the burner and proceed, adding the cascade at flame out as directed.

That should get you really close to the AG recipe.

Back