In-bottle Lagering?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
I've had my Killian's clone in the secondary at 33-35 degrees for about two weeks now. I'm at the point where I'd really like to use that secondary vessel for a batch that has been in primary for nearly two weeks. I know it'll probably be fine, but I'd like to get it off the trub within the next week.

Of course, I can always use another order for ingredients as an excuse to pick up another better bottle, but I thought that perhaps it would be all the same if I bottle the lager at say week 3 of cold storage and then get the bottles right back into the fridge. I suppose the added benefit is that the yeast may still be viable to carbonate without repitching but will it really carbonate at 33 degrees or does it require a temp rise?

Thoughts?

I'm lagering a Yeungling clone in bottles at the moment and already carbonated it for ~3 weeks at room temperature. I cracked one open last weekend and the carbonation level was just fine - a little surprising considering it was in primary for 2 months (yeah, I need some more carboys...)

I'm not sure if you'll be able to carbonate at lagering temps. I was advised against it, but haven't tried it myself. All I can say is I didn't notice any off-flavors from letting it carb at room temperature.

If it were me, I would try carbonating at low temps. Those lager yeast might surprise you. If after a couple weeks you have no carbonation, you can always bring them to room temp.

Back