Imported wood safety (Palo Santo)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thekraken

Reaction score
I'm a fan of DFH Palo Santo so I was looking into trying to use some palo santo wood on a brew. It's readily available on Amazon, sold as incense. I emailed one of the sellers asking about treatments, chemicals additives, etc. This was the conversation:

"1. Fumigation was done to the woods in Peru. Otherwise this product cannot be imported to the United States. No perfume was added. This is a 100% natural product.
2. We recommend leaving the product outside in the air for 2 - 3 weeks for the natural fragrance to come back ( once the bag is opened. ) before burning or soaking it in water.

--- Original message ---

Regarding: Govinda Palo Santo - 3.5 Oz / 100 G Pack - Authentic Peruvian Palo Santo Sahumerio

1. Are any chemicals or perfumes added to this product at all?
2. If I were to soak a small amount in a drink would that drink still be safe for human consumption?"

They couldn't give me any details about the fumigant other than its usda approved.

Any thoughts about using this product in your beer?

I assume that any imported wood is probably subject to the same regulations.

Have you tried e-mailing DFH about it? They might be able to give you some pointers about sourcing some wood.

Latest posts

Back