Importance of Bittering Hop Variety?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baldben

Reaction score
Just wondering if you guys think the hop variety used for bittering is an especially important choice. I know that AA and possibly cohumulone will play a part in the bittering qualities, but other than that is there much to consider?
Say I was to bulk purchase Galena hops and use those for all my bittering and only adjust the flavor/aroma hops for my recipes. Would this lead to a certain lack of variety in my beer?

Sounds like you got it.

Aside from the fact that an IPA with 14 oz of hallertaur instead of 1 oz of Magnum would potentially cost WAY more but be about the same bitterness.

some varieties can have some weird flavor contributions used as a bittering hop.

generally, no, variety doesn't really matter for bittering. just adjust the weight for the addition to the desired AAU. some hops lend a more mild or a harsher perceived bitterness, but that would be the only difference, perception not IBU. i generally bitter with a higher AA hop thats appropriate to style, i.e. i use horizon or magnum for almost all of my american beers, challenger or target for english styles, noble hops for german brews, etc.
hope that helps. :mug:

Basically.. No

I usually go for the cheapest highest AA possible when I am doing IPA's and other styles where you want high IBU's. Usually you'll find that the hops that are great for bittering aren't as good for aroma and flavoring. There are some acceptions however, like Citra.. But then again these hop varieties are usually more expensive because of their versatility.

Only one caveat to bulk ordering your hops or hops pellets. Hops do have a shelf life, in that they oxidize and lose their potency just like most vegetable matter. If you're going to bulk order a bunch of hops, be sure that:

A) You're getting a good fresh supply. 2011/12 hops harvest are hitting the stores as we speak. Beware of old hops that have yellowed or turned brown.

B) Store them in a cool, dry place. I keep small supplies of hops for beers i'm going to be imminently brewing in the fridge, but a freezer isn't a bad option either.

C) Vac packed/sealed hops will keep fresher longer, but they will also eventually oxidize. Most plastics used for sealing up hops or pellets are oxygen permeable. Keep them a year at most.

Back