Imperial Stout with Flaked Maize???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaj030201

Reaction score
Yes, you read correctly. I will be making a "Mexican Imperial Stout" with about 25% Flaked Maize. (I'm even using a mexican lager yeast!!!) Sounds weird, I know, but I really need to be careful with the bittering for this one.

I am wondering if the Maize will add a bunch of "sweetness" or will simply lower the body and lighten the flavor? Should I up the IBU's for the sweetness of the Maize or lower them because it will be a lighter-bodied beer?

Is the point to use corn or to make a mexican imperial stout?

Because if the point is to make a mexican imperial, go real mexican and put a mole twist on it with some chocolate and chile.

If the point is to use corn... I just can't picture it in a stout.

it will simply lighten the body. that mexican lager yeast is very tasty stuff. it is used to make vienna-style lagers.

not sure how that will all work out in a stout, but definitely sounds interesting!

Do it, that's what homebrewing is all about. If you don't do it you will just keep thinking about it until you finally end up doing it anyway. Thats what happened to me with my Thai themed beer, I kept telling myself no, but I couldn't stop thinking about it so I made it anyway.

Mexican chocolate is delicious, with cinnamon mixed into the chocolate. Why not throw some of that in? Or at least some bakers cocoa powder at flame out and a cinnamon stick in the secondary...

Make it as planned. It'll be like a baltic porter but a bit lighter. Like one of those foreign export lager-stouts. I like it. Tell me how it is.

Mind you, all those spice ideas are cool, but I want to see how it's like as you plan it.

seriously...it sounds good. agave extract will have a completely different atribute then maize will.

btw...maize will not add too much sweetness to the brew. it'll mainly just lighten the body and make it very drinkable. i would keep the hops low...nice and balanced.

post recipe and results, please!

Mind you, all those spice ideas are cool, but I want to see how it's like as you plan it.

Oh, I agree. But Mexican chocolate is delicious. But since I saw "Mexican" and "chocolate" in the same paragraph my mouth started watering.

I want to dial in a really good stout, which I can then modify and flavor and play around with. Of course I made an imperial chocolate-coffee stout (with potential raspberry - dont know yet...) without totally dialing in a stout recipe... we will see how it goes.. maybe i will try to backwards-engineer a normal stout recipe when i see how this one goes...

This is why I love this forum- you guys gave me some great ideas! I am from the school of thinking that allows for every homebrew to be an experiment. I never follow recipes and I never make a beer twice. If I want a really good Imperial Stout, I will buy a case of Storm King. I want to try something that I've never tasted before. If it turns out great, :ban:; if it turns out like crap, it was nothing more than a $40 1-time experiment.
I had planned on using Agave Nectar, but I completely forgot to order it from Austin Homebrew and now I dont know where to buy it. As for the Mexican Chocolate and Cinnamon, I LOVE those ideas!!
I will keep you all posted on how it turns out. This is the first in a series of "Imperial Stouts of the World" that I have created. You can find all recipes here: http://www.beertools.com/html/recipe.php?view=7841
There are 7 in total, and I'd really like to hear input on any or all of them! (to get to the other recipes, just keyword search "kaj030201")

Mexican Imperial Stout - called it Negro Rey de la Maize

I say go with the original and adjust from there on later batches.

I LOVE the name. I may have to steal thaty from you.

Any other ideas for the recipe anyone???

If anyone listened to The Brewing Network's interview with Mitch Steel from Stone Brewing Company yesterday, their Anniversary Ale is a Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout and it is based on Mexican chocolate with the cinnamon and other spices...

If anyone listened to The Brewing Network's interview with Mitch Steel from Stone Brewing Company yesterday, their Anniversary Ale is a Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout and it is based on Mexican chocolate with the cinnamon and other spices...

Had the beer and it rocks:rockin:

At first, its very "familiar", but after a few more sips and it warms a bit, you can really taste the bitterness of the chocolate. A very good beer. Hope mines half as good!

Brewed mine yesterday and it went very smoothly. I was planning on boiling down to up the OG, but decided to keep a greater volume at lower ABV, so this will be more of a "Strong Stout" with a projected ABV of about 7.8-8.0%

So if the flaked corn won't add corn flavor what would? How would corn nuts rinsed of salt work?

What about using some amaranth as an adjunct? that's very traditionally used in Mexico for sweets and stuff.

Back