Imperial Stout Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meshuggah

Reaction score
I've never really made a big beer before... successfully... so I was hoping to get some advice on this imperial stout recipe. Ideally I want it to be thick, creamy, and have caramel/malty/roasty flavors.

Here's the recipe I'm playing around with:

3 Gallons, shooting for about 9 to 9.5ABV
80% 10lbs 0oz American Two-row Pale
8% 1lbs 0oz Flaked Oats
4% 0lbs 8oz American Crystal 90L
4% 0lbs 8oz American Black Roast
4% 0lbs 8oz American Chocolate

WLP013 London Ale

Not worrying about hops right now. So how is it looking? Anyone prefer flaked barley to flaked oats in an imperial stout? Also I've heard WLP013 can provide an oak type flavor which sounds perfect. Would this yeast be any good? Thanks guys.

Sounds like you are on the right path, really looks like a tasty recipe! Great baseline to start with and you can always crank it up if you want in the future. That recipe should get you a nice IS And since it's only a few gallons you don't have to invest an arm and a leg into a test recipe.
I live special B so I would probably throw some of that in there... Maybe some chocolate malt too. But I like the simplicity of your recipe too. Imperial stouts can get pretty crazy grain bills going and yours looks good, as for yeast that is another personal preference, I usually just go with the standard American ale and I have heard the grain and hops in the imperial stouts will overpower any flavor the yeast may impart, just my two cents be sure to report back with how it goes!

Looks good! I haven't used 013, so I can't weigh in on that. I used flaked barley in an IS recently, but it is really just personal preference between that and flaked oats. If you want it to be full-bodied, make sure to mash somewhere around 155F. I know you aren't worrying about hops yet, but you'll want it to be pretty bitter.

Yeah I'll probably stick with the oats but I'm still a bit torn on the yeast. I may just use US-05 to cut back on the price, but the WLP013 does sounds mighty fine. Anyone else have some input?

Back