Imperial Rye PA Recipe (Billy Rye Cyrus)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently did a partial mash Imperial Rye PA, which my wife rather brilliantly named Billy Rye Cyrus. It comes in at 101 IBUs, and 9.3% ABV. OG: 1.090 FG:1.020

For the grains:
2.25 lbs 2-row
1.5 lbs Crystal 60L
1 lb of flaked rye
Mashed at 150 for 30 minutes
8 lbs Light DME

Hop Schedule:
60 minutes: 1 oz Chinook & 2 oz Centenial.
20 minutes: 1 oz Centennial
15 minuteS: 1 oz Cascade
10 minutes: .5 oz Cascade
Flameout: .5 Cascade at flameout

I tasted it yesterday, upon completion, andt tasted phenomenal. Plenty bitter, with quite a bit of hop flavor, but not too aromatic, with so few hops at the end of boil. I transferred it to the secondary with 1 oz Cascade, and 1 oz Centennial pellets.Today, I figured to throw caution to the wind, as I want the hops in this bad boy to be in your face, on par with Stone Brewing Company's Ruination or Sublimely Self Riteous Ale. So I added another oz of both Cascade and Centennial pellets, for a total of 4 oz of dry hops. How long would you fellas suggest letting it dry hop, before bottling? Also, this is the biggest beer I've done to date, and was wondering if anyone has any prediction on how long it will take to bottle condition, before its at its best? I know that IPAs are best young, but I fear that at 9.2 ABV, it may take 3-4 weeks to carbonate fully. I'm still kind of a noob, as this is only my 7th batch, and the second for which I've developed the recipe, myself. Any opinions or criticisms are totally welcome.

"Billy Rye Cyrus" - maybe she was thinking that at that ibu and abv, you'll be having "achy breaky farts" the next day...

Back