Imperial red ale extract malts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

holeinone08

Reaction score
I am trying to brew an imperial red ale but have been unsuccessful in finding a kit. I was thinking of getting a red ale kit and beefing up the malts and trying to balance this with more hops. My question is will munich malt extract be suitable to add to this kit and would cascade or centennial hops be best for balancing the extra malt?

I'm having the same problem, I found a irish red kit on northernbrewer, and I am adding 3 extra lbs of LME and am going to steep 2 extra lbs of grains. This is what the final recipe will look like. Comments and suggestions would be very welcome.

9 lbs 3 oz Northern Brewer Gold LME
1 lbs 8 oz Digemas Caramel Pils
1 lbs 4 oz Briess Special Roast
1 oz Dingemans Belgian Biscuit
1 oz English Chocolate Malt

1oz Willamette, 60 mins
1oz Goldings, 30 mins
.5oz Centennial, 30 mins
.5oz Centennial, 15 mins
.5oz Cascade, 10 mins
.5oz Cascade, 5 mins

I put this into a beer calculator and it came out with an abv of 8% with an IBU of 41.4 and an SRM of 18. What ya think?

I am using the hoppy red ale recipe from Austin HBS. I added 3 LBS muni he LME.

10 lbs Munich

.5 crystal 20L
1 crystal 90L
.5 pale malt
.5 aromatic malt
.125 black barley
.75 honey malt

1 oz galena(60 min)
1 oz Columbus (30)
1 oz nugget (45)
2 oz cascade dry hop

WLP051

OG 1.079
ABV ~8%
IBU 95
SRM 22

Any suggestions are welcome. I also have challenger galena and willamette hops hops available as extras.

How did these turn out guys?

I plan to brew this one i kinda made up myself this weekend.. Might change the hops a bit and maybe add a touch of 120L .... any feedback ?

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.37 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.24 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.082 SG
Estimated Color: 14.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 65.9 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 88.6 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
8 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 60.7 %
1 lbs Carared (20.0 SRM) Grain 3 7.1 %
8.0 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 4 3.6 %
2 lbs 8.0 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 2 17.9 %
8.0 oz Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 5 3.6 %
1.50 oz Zeus [16.40 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 63.9 IBUs
1 lbs Honey (1.0 SRM) Sugar 9 7.1 %
1.0 pkg Irish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1084) [124.21 ml Yeast 8 -
0.50 oz Zeus [16.40 %] - Boil 2.0 min Hop 7 2.0 IBUs

Mine turned out well enough, it tastes a lot like Off the Rails by Karl Strauss in terms of how big and sweet it is. I was shooting for more of a hoppy imperial red so its kind of a hoppy off the rails. I also dried hoped with two oz of cascade hops. Its definitely a big beer though, you can taste the 8%, which I like a lot. If I make another i'd add a little more hops hops or try and increase my attenuation.

Nose: very hoppy, wonderful smell

Taste: Hops hit first then the sweetness crashes through, im trying to figure a way to make it more of a balanced experience.

Pros: Big beer, lots of flavor...nice color...great aroma with dry hopping

Cons: Despite the 40+ ibu's it has a definite sweetness to it, which could be overpowering to some

My beer was the last extract beer that I made. It tasted a lot more like an irish red than I was going for. I wanted something more along the lines of a gordon's (oskar blues) or lagunitas imperial red. It is still a very drinkable beer but the dry hopping was lost on it as no floral remains from the willamette that I eventually used to replace the cascade. I will keep trying. This beer is the reason I went all grain because the extract doesn't leave enough room for minor flavor corrections.

Back