Imperial Milk Stout recipe idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

La_Moustachio

Reaction score
I was thinking about brewing up an Imperial Milk Stout this weekend and I wanted to get some thoughts on the recipe I came up with using BeerAlchemy.

Size: 5.5 Gallons at pitching

OG: 1.108
FG: 1.032
ABV: 10.2%
IBU: 37.5
Color: 45.5 SRM

Ingredients:
14 lbs Light LME
1 lbs Chocolate Malt
1 lbs Carapils
.75 lbs Roasted Barley
.5 lbs Black Malt
1 lbs Lactose

Hops:
4 oz Fuggle @ 60 min

Yeast:
WLP023 Burton Ale

I might want something to the secondary like cocoa nibs or leave it as is. I haven't decided yet.
Thanks for any input

That's a lot of extract! Nothing wrong with it, just make sure you have some good head space and a solid blowoff tube. I did a stout with 11 pounds of DME and it was going nuts in my 6.5 gallon glass carboy.

I wish I could comment more on your grains but I don't know all that much myself about them.

Cocoa nibs are great, however. If you're bottling I may suggest doing half of your batch in secondary on the nibs and the other half just settling out. Then bottle and compare.

I just got done brewing another batch of a chocolate vanilla stout I did because I wanted to see what the recipe was like without cocoa nibs or vanilla added (and I plan on doing even another batch with coffee).

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back