Imperial IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogueBrewer92

Reaction score
Thoughts on the recipe? I haven't brewed it yet.

Imperial IPA

15 lbs Pale Ale malt
2 lbs honey malt
1 lbs Corn sugar
.5 lbs Belgian Munich malt
.5 lbs CaraPils malt

1 oz Brewers Gold hops (60 min)
1 oz Columbus hops (60 min)
1 oz Cascade hops (15 min)
1 oz Ahtanum hops (15 min)
1 oz Chinook hops (10 min)
1 oz Cascade hops (10 min)
1 oz Centennial hops (5 min)
1 oz Falconers Flight hops (5 min)

1/4 Tsp Irish moss

WLP001 California Ale yeast

I wouldn't use chinook for anything other than bittering in the boil. MAYBE 30 minutes, but not a huge fan of it as a flavor/aroma hop. Up to you though.

6 ounces of dry hops and only 2 ounces during the boill? I think you'll be way low on your IBU's. I'm assuming a 5 gallon batch. I would also cut the crystal in half.

Looper said:
I wouldn't use chinook for anything other than bittering in the boil. MAYBE 30 minutes, but not a huge fan of it as a flavor/aroma hop. Up to you though.

Chinook is one of my favorite flavor hops. Tons of grapefruit and pine needle flavor!

Yeah I would cut the crystal back to a half pound as well to help dry it out. And you may want to consider replacing about a pound of the base malt with a pound or so of corn sugar to help dry it out even more, if you're into that sort of thing.

I'm not really sure what's going on with the hop schedule or what exactly you mean by "finishing hop" but I agree that you need more hops in the boil. You listed 10 oz of hops, which I think is a good total number, but I would use them differently. I think 1 oz of Columbus to bitter is good; you could even up it to 1.5 oz if you wanted. 1 oz of Cascade at 30 is fine. With the remaining 8 oz I would use 5 of them between 15 minutes and flameout, then dry hop with 3 oz. I would shoot for a BU:GU ratio of 1 or higher.

EDIT: Maybe cut 2 pounds of base malt and replace with 1 pound of corn sugar to maintain about the same OG.

did you brew this yet? had a chance to taste or are still waiting for it to age a bit?

looking for an imperial IPA and i'd like your thoughts on how it turned out

thanks

Back