Imperial definition question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donovanneb

Reaction score
I recently had a Porter that started at 1.064 original gravity. It got stuck in the low 20's so I racked it onto a White Labs 099 starter. That took it all the way down to 1.002, making the beer 8.2% ABV.

Would this be considered an Imperial Porter now?

My curiosity is that a beer that goes from a gravity of 1.080 to 1.018 = 8.2%, while a beer that goes from 1.064 to 1.002 = 8.2% but won't have the same "characteristics" as a high starting gravity beer. Are they both considered imperial?

It's what ever you want it to be. :) Some of the names that are given to differnet variations in beer styles are kinda like that. The other day at the beer store, they had a TIPA. A triple IPA....got to out do the double IPAs I guess. Maybe you have more of a 'Baltic Porter' now?

Not really easy to define since it is a bit of a made up style. An 8% wheat beer could be called an "imperial wheat" just so it has a title....but there are no style guidelines for "imperial wheat".

Not really easy to define since it is a bit of a made up style. An 8% wheat beer could be called an "imperial wheat" just so it has a title....but there are no style guidelines for "imperial wheat".

But according to BJCP there is a guideline for Imperial IPA and Imperial Stout which would mean it isn't an arbitrary naming.

When did "Imperial" become a thing? Was it first used with Russian Imperial Stouts, when brewed for Catherine II?

In any of the BJCP categories that reference "imperial" styles, the guidelines refer to bigger/bolder versions of the base style. While these typically have higher ABV%, the goal is to maintain the overall balance of the beer so it's not just about the alcohol content. Baltic Porters are usually described as Imperial Porters, but that recipe formulation is different than English or American style.

You may have created an imperial porter, or you may have created a dry, hot version of a robust porter. But it's yours, so enjoy it!

Actually, the BJCP style guideline for Imperial IPA directly discusses the use of the word Imperial:

"History: A recent American innovation reflecting the trend of American craft brewers “pushing the envelope” to satisfy the need of hop aficionados for increasingly intense products. The adjective “Imperial” is arbitrary and simply implies a stronger version of an IPA; “double,” “extra,” “extreme,” or any other variety of adjectives would be equally valid."

Actually, the BJCP style guideline for Imperial IPA directly discusses the use of the word Imperial:

"History: A recent American innovation reflecting the trend of American craft brewers “pushing the envelope” to satisfy the need of hop aficionados for increasingly intense products. The adjective “Imperial” is arbitrary and simply implies a stronger version of an IPA; “double,” “extra,” “extreme,” or any other variety of adjectives would be equally valid."

There is, however, a growing trend among craft brewers to distinguish between a Double IPA and an Imperial IPA. A Double would tend towards the dryer side with little in the way of malt presence, but go bananas on hop bitterness, flavor, and aroma. The Imperial, on the other hand, would be sweeter and perhaps include more malt character that would play with the hops more. I can't remember if it was the head brewer at Avery or Lagunitas that I heard discussing this trend a couple years ago.

In general, I've grown to associate the current designation of "Imperial" with increased sweetness, body, and malt character/complexity along with the higher abv.

Point taken, I seem to have missed that when reading the description:mug:

I agree with "Hammy 71." It's like asking for a definition of "organic" food, one of the more unfortunate labels to be misused in the last 30 years. For ME, personally, "Imperial" starts around 8%. YMMV, and probably will.

There is, however, a growing trend among craft brewers to distinguish between a Double IPA and an Imperial IPA. A Double would tend towards the dryer side with little in the way of malt presence, but go bananas on hop bitterness, flavor, and aroma. The Imperial, on the other hand, would be sweeter and perhaps include more malt character that would play with the hops more. I can't remember if it was the head brewer at Avery or Lagunitas that I heard discussing this trend a couple years ago.

In general, I've grown to associate the current designation of "Imperial" with increased sweetness, body, and malt character/complexity along with the higher abv.

That may be the distinction that particular brewer makes, but I think for the most part the terms are used interchangeably.

I always thought Double IPA meant: double I PA, as in IIPA, or Imperial India Pale Ale.

I always thought Double IPA meant: double I PA, as in IIPA, or Imperial India Pale Ale.

Yes, that may have been the original popular understanding. But as I mentioned before, in this particular style a distinction has been emerging for some time among many of the craft brewers. Where a Double IPA meant "IIPA", there are now more of the "experts/professionals" making a distinction between "Double IPA" and "Imperial IPA." I wouldn't say it's universal but I would say the ipa brewers I respect most seem to see or desire to observe the difference.

Here's a great little discussion on it. Listen from 20:00 to about 25:00.

Latest posts

Back