imperial coffee honey stout.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bullet08

Reaction score
i'm going to brew small batch, 1 gallon, of imperial coffee honey stout over the christmas vacation. just wondering what would be a good choice for bittering and a aroma hop would be. i don't care too much for too bitter beer. but i do enjoy good hop aroma. any suggestions?

pete

Anything really. But i'll make it simple for you, East Kent Goldings for both bittering and aroma. What is your Target OG, and i'll tell you how much to use.

not sure what the target OG will be. never really try to figure those things out. i'll be using about 3.5-4lb of grains mostly american 2 row. it will be rested for 90 min. mash out, sparge, and will be boiled. cooled and into fermenter. final volume should be around 1 gallon. i'll be most likely use wyeast belgian abbey ii yeast in smack pack, about half of it.

pete

Whats your recipe?

I wouldnt use a belgian yeast for this beer if it was me, it seems like there is plenty going on without using that style of yeast.

70% efficency:
3.5lbs = 1.091 OG
4lbs = 1.100 OG

Believe it or not, you'll want about 1 to 1.25oz of East Kent Goldings. That'll target about 50-60IBU which is on the low end for an imperial stout (not very bitter).

Add .5oz at 0min. That's it.

recipe? i don't need no stinking.. actually, i don't have one. i'm reading few books and finding out what's a good grain bill for it. i like guinness mainly, to me that is, it tastes like cold espresso. so i'm going to add crushed coffee beans. i like my porter/stout with touch of honey in the background also, so i'm going to add honey.

i'm going to go to church lock-in with cub scouts tonight, so i'll take my books with me and see what i can come up with.

i usually just mix and match to what i think might taste good. last batch of beer i made was over 10 years ago and back then they all came out ok. this idea of brewing 1 gallon batch is working out great for me. just have to dig out my wort chiller this weekend and see what's growing in them...

pete

Latest posts

Back