Imperial CDA hopping help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatDragon

Not actually a dragon.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm working on my first CDA recipe - around 8-8.5% ABV - for my next brew, which I hope to do in the next week or so. I'm looking for 5.5-6 gallons into the fermenter, depending on how much is lost to kettle trub.

Grainbill is 7kg 2 row (lowish-potential Chinese grain, if you're running the numbers), .5 kg C60, .25kg each roasted barley and Carafa II, and .5 kg table sugar. It's not set in stone but I feel pretty good about it. I'm trying to get a decent amount of roastiness, as the CDA's/Black IPA's I've really enjoyed have had a nice roasty backbone, while the ones I've had that didn't have that roasty foundation just seemed like unnecessarily dark, mediocre IPAs. Wookey Jack would be the pinnacle, if examples help.

Currently, the hop schedule looks something like this:

FWH - 15g each Columbus & Chinook
45 min - 15g each Columbus & Chinook
30 min - 10g each Columbus, Chinook, Azacca, Ahtanum, & El Dorado
15 min - 15 g each Azacca, Ahtanum, & El Dorado
0 min - double the 15 min addition

I know mid-boil additions are a controversial subject, but I want to try them out for myself. I'm pretty open to everything else. The hop selections are based on what I've got that needs to be used; I've also got surplus Rakau and Calypso.

Questions:

Is 100+ IBU going to be too much for this brew?
Is the fruitiness of the aroma hops going to clash with the roasty backbone?
Should I be using Chinook/Columbus in the later additions to balance out the fruity hops?
Am I going too heavy on the hops (or could I/should I be using even more of my surplus)?
Should I dry hop?

Well, I just bottled a similar beer, but haven't tasted it, so qualified comments.

I made sure I had at least 100 IBU (calculated) for mine. I think it needs that.

I cannot imagine this beer without dry hopping. Wookie Jack recipes call for double dry hopping, FWIW.

Happy brewing in China!

From a Wookie Jack clone recipe for 5.5 gal:

Hop Additions:
Citra: 0.5 oz FWH at 90 min
Citra and Amarillo: 1.0 oz each at 15 min
Citra and Amarillo: 2.0 oz each at 0 min with 30 min hop stand

Dry Hops:
Citra and Amarillo: 1.0 oz each for 3 days and remove
Citra and Amarillo: 1.0 oz each for 4 days

From my Wookie Jack clone recipe for 5.5 gal:

Hop Additions:
Citra: 0.5 oz FWH at 90 min
Citra and Amarillo: 1.0 oz each at 15 min
Citra and Amarillo: 2.0 oz each at 0 min with 30 min hop stand

Dry Hops:
Citra and Amarillo: 1.0 oz each for 3 days and remove
Citra and Amarillo: 1.0 oz each for 4 days

Cool - that gives me some hope. They're different hops, but they're both quite fruity, which makes me feel like fruity hops in a CDA will be fine. Thanks for the first post, too - 100+ IBU, fruity hops, and dry hopping will all happen, then. I'm still a bit curious if I might be overdoing the volume of hops in the kettle, but my current schedule is only a couple ounces higher than yours, so it should probably be fine.

Latest posts

Back