Impeller, Agitation, Kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwwbrennan

Reaction score
While reviewing various pumps I learned impeller units shouldn't be used in conjunction with filters for transferring un-carbonated beer to kegs as there is too much agitation.
What is the effect of too much agitation at that stage? Are diaphragm pumps a good solution for general brewing use?

The only thing that comes to mind is protein shear, which in theory would affect head formation/retention.
No idea if that's actually the case or not.

I imagine any positive-displacement pump would solve that problem...

Cheers!

Until very recently I had no idea pumps combined science, technology and the dark arts in such an arcane manner. I figured they were selected for flow, pressure and a few variables for viscosity, temperature, distance, specific gravity, etcetera to move liquids from point A to point B. Positive-displacement pumps, protein shear; this ain't Kansas anymore Toto. Thanks very much day_tripper; maybe I'll just try bashing a batch or two with an impeller to see what happens.

Cheers!

I haven't seen a diaphragm pump that is good for boiling temperatures. Therefore, I wouldn't say it's good for general use. A parasitic pump would work for hot and cold applications.

The only thing that comes to mind is protein shear, which in theory would affect head formation/retention.

I think I read / listened to an article about commercial IPA breweries eliminating the use of centrifugal pumps on hop-forward brews to reduce agitation stress or somesuch.

My understanding was that they simply push with excess CO2 and skip the pump entirely.

Until very recently I had no idea pumps combined science, technology and the dark arts in such an arcane manner.

I have found a pretty big divide between what is scientifically proven and what I can replicate in my home brew "lab". I'd guess your plan to bash and observe is a great one.

A parasitic pump would work for hot and cold applications.

Peristaltic :D

I have found a pretty big divide between what is scientifically proven and what I can replicate in my home brew "lab".
Lab indeed, I've just been through your eKeggle BIAB posts, very interesting.

My brewing has a parsimonious factor, when I stop noticing the difference I stop paying for the difference. If one pump can do several jobs and not damage the beer (presently made with no pump) the expense will be justified. It should probably be considered a done deal anyway. A highly influential member of the household thinks a determined git lifting and moving containers filled with hot liquids about on a potentially wet tile floor could end badly. She may have a point. I'll let you know if the pump makes a noticeable difference from no pump (which I presume to be equivalent to proper pump).

Lab indeed, I've just been through your eKeggle BIAB posts, very interesting.

My brewing has a parsimonious factor, when I stop noticing the difference I stop paying for the difference. If one pump can do several jobs and not damage the beer (presently made with no pump) the expense will be justified. It should probably be considered a done deal anyway. A highly influential member of the household thinks a determined git lifting and moving containers filled with hot liquids about on a potentially wet tile floor could end badly. She may have a point. I'll let you know if the pump makes a noticeable difference from no pump (which I presume to be equivalent to proper pump).

Avoiding heavy lifting is enough reason to get the pump in my opinion. I would avoid using it on fermented product, but before the yeast goes in I really can't see the risk.

Back