Immersion circulators for mashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotty2

Reaction score
I have immersion circulators and was curious if anyone has any experience using them for decoction/infusion steps. In reading through some all grain hefeweizen recipes, I see some triple decoctions, double decoction double infusion recipes. The circulators would theoretically make those steps MUCH easier(mash out aside, I think), anyone use them?

I don't see how this would help decoction at all, but an immersion circulator is basically a HERMS system

uberg33k said:
I don't see how this would help decoction at all, but an immersion circulator is basically a HERMS system

I'm sorry, I meant immersion circulators used for sous vide cooking.

I'm sorry, I meant immersion circulators used for sous vide cooking.

Right.

Still not useful at all for decoction. Decoction involves pulling off a portion of mash and boiling it. This is done not just to heat the mash, but to aid in the formation of melanoidins. In cooking speak, you're making a Maillard reaction. It's not going to happen sub-boil. You need to boil.

Still essentially a HERMS system. Actually, I guess depending on the model, it could be closer to a RIMS, but it's still something that already exists in homebrewing. You could use it to help hold mash temps, but I have the feeling it would only be good in BIAB applications where your grist is really thinned out. Even then, given the sheer volume, I doubt you'd be able to raise the temperature much. Unless you're using a really big immersion circulator, you would probably just be able to hold temperature.

I would also be concerned about the heat source. It looks like most of those units are using high density elements. You don't want that. You want an ultra low density element to avoid scorching or over caramelization. Look over at the electric brewing subform for more info.

uberg33k said:
Right.

Still not useful at all for decoction. Decoction involves pulling off a portion of mash and boiling it. This is done not just to heat the mash, but to aid in the formation of melanoidins. In cooking speak, you're making a Maillard reaction. It's not going to happen sub-boil. You need to boil.

Still essentially a HERMS system. Actually, I guess depending on the model, it could be closer to a RIMS, but it's still something that already exists in homebrewing. You could use it to help hold mash temps, but I have the feeling it would only be good in BIAB applications where your grist is really thinned out. Even then, given the sheer volume, I doubt you'd be able to raise the temperature much. Unless you're using a really big immersion circulator, you would probably just be able to hold temperature.

I would also be concerned about the heat source. It looks like most of those units are using high density elements. You don't want that. You want an ultra low density element to avoid scorching or over caramelization. Look over at the electric brewing subform for more info.

Thanks, yes, I understand about the decoction, was more interested in infusion and using these to hold temps. But, you're right about the heating elements, makes perfect sense. Thank you, sir.

Back