Immersion chiller on garage floor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jplowe

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I had a bad finish to a great brew day. My new setup is in the garage away from my normal on stove routine. I forgot to tighten all the hoses to my wort chiller and to prevent or stop a lot of water from going into my wort, I placed the clean chiller on the floor to stop / shut everything down. Realizing this I put it into my bucket of starsan and shuck of all the clumpy black stuff from the garage floor. Then I sprayed the bottem with a bottle of star San. Then it went back into the kettle to keep chilling.

Will rincing the chiller in star San save my beer from the nasty garage floor. There has to be oil gas and other crap on that concrete. I did see clumps of black come off when I shook it in the bucket but maybe I got it all after I sprayed after. Ugh I still rackef it in the fermenter and will try it though I want to make sure it's safe. Maybe I'm just overly concerned but first time in the nasty garage wasn't as smooth as expected

If all the black stuff came off in the bucket, there can't have been much oil or other stuff stuck to the coil either.

I'd say RDWHAHB!

You guys are probably right. I'll just have to relax and try it out when it finishes. Right now it's in the cool Brewing bag bubbling at 68° hopefully I get more clove than banana but I'd welcome either one this Edwort's wheat is going to be good.

Back