Immersion chiller oddity.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dysphoria

Reaction score
First of all, let me give the standard "been lurking around" introduction :)
I have indeed been lurking, and figured now is as good a time as any to say hello to the forum that I've gotten a lot of insight from(so thank you!).

Now the question:
I recently had an incident with an immersion chiller getting squashed/kinked pretty badly in storage, so I went and picked up another one from my LHBS(identical model).
I got it home and took it for a test drive.. but the flow seemed significantly lower than my old one. I took the hose off and had a look at the outflow side, and BAM.. there is a plastic banding strap hanging out(and it's wedged in there pretty stinkin good).
Now I am wondering - is this some attempt at creating turbulence in the water inside the chiller, or a mistake? MoreBeer's "Super Efficient" wort chiller looks identical, and makes claims of "proprietary water turbulation on the interior of the copper tubing" - could this be what I am seeing?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Well, if that is the case.. that's a bummer.. I decided to give it a test without hooking up the hose and the water is just barely flowing out(at wide open hose pressure).
I was hoping someone else might have seen something similar and ease suspicions of it being a mistake.

I wonder if I can burn it out:D , or at least get it hot enough where It's pliable enough to slide free. Otherwise, I'll be looking for another new chiller :(

This is what I saw earlier:

1zpi5fm.jpg

After some fiddling about(removing fittings, heating), this is what came out of it(yep, that's plastic strapping like they use on boxes).

24fiu4x.jpg

I am not sure "proprietary water turbulation" are the words I would use for this. That frayed end on the left did come out in a nice little wad, which I am sure was creating turbulence :D

In any case.. chiller works better now, even if it's no longer super efficient :)

Dang! That looks like a tape worm! :drunk:

Is the turbulence really needed? Doesn't the water kind of mix up along the way flowing through 25 feet?

Our Super Efficient model is equipped with proprietary water turbulation on the interior of the copper tubing which reduces cooling water consumption by 40%.
Now that's just plain silly.

What always messes up my cooling is low waterflow, not a lack of "turbulation." My water pressure is abysmally low - like, 2 gallons per minute low - and it affects my cooling a LOT, enough that I HAVE to hop in the whirlpool for aroma.

What always messes up my cooling is low waterflow, not a lack of "turbulation." My water pressure is abysmally low - like, 2 gallons per minute low - and it affects my cooling a LOT, enough that I HAVE to hop in the whirlpool for aroma.

This is exactly what had me looking into why my water flow was so much different than the last chiller I had. The flow coming out of the outflow on the chiller was a sad little dribble(as opposed to pressure washer like it is now with the banding removed). My chill times seemed to considerably longer under such low flow. Granted, I don't normally run it at full tap pressure, but at least I can choose to now if I so desire.

I tested the chiller with the banding removed, and my chill times have been decreased by about 12 minutes or so(from the same groundwater temp).
Not a huge difference, but significant enough - any way I can shorten the amount of time from making it to drinking it is good by me. :D

12 minutes is pretty damn big. I hope you didn't have to pay too much more for that ridiculous strip of plastic.

Turns out that they just buy the chillers from fermtap(which I think is the same place MoreBeer gets theirs). And yes.. it was nearly $10 more for the "efficient" model. :(

Latest posts

Back