Immersion chiller 50' coil height?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J187

Reaction score
I am thinking about building an IC, I don't mind the $60 for the 3/8 x 50' at lowes, but I am concerned that 50' will be too high - I am stovetop brewing with a 5 gallon kettle at the moment. I do think I might get a bigger kettle and do full boils in the somewhat near future, but I'm still not sure. I know a 20' would prob do my 5 gal kettle just fine, but I obviously want to do the 50' to be ready for my bigger kettle in the future if I go that route. Would a 50' coil be way too high for a simple 5 gal kettle?

It might be a little taller than your pot but big deal. Extra height won't hurt. Just cover the whole rig with sanitized foil and chill on brother chill on!!

I am thinking about building an IC, I don't mind the $60 for the 3/8 x 50' at lowes, but I am concerned that 50' will be too high - I am stovetop brewing with a 5 gallon kettle at the moment. I do think I might get a bigger kettle and do full boils in the somewhat near future, but I'm still not sure. I know a 20' would prob do my 5 gal kettle just fine, but I obviously want to do the 50' to be ready for my bigger kettle in the future if I go that route. Would a 50' coil be way too high for a simple 5 gal kettle?

When I built mine with 50', I did a double coil. One inside the other, so even with a small kettle, all 50' will fit in the wort.

Latest posts

Back