Immaculate Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reezle

Reaction score
Made a batch of Undeadguy last week (Thanks Yooper!). Pitched some Pacman I had washed from a batch a few months back.
I made a starter with DME and pure O2, seemed to get good action, wasn't worried about it. Wort cooled to low 70's, I bubbled some pure O2 through it a few times, then pitched the yeast.
I watched the airlock for days, and saw no activity. It's a plastic bucket fermenter, so it's possible that it was just leaking, and the CO2 outgassing was leaking out instead of bubbling the lock. I removed the airlock once or twice to check for Krausen, and saw only tiny little yeast rafts on top (2mm or so). I could spot the occasional CO2 bubble rising to the surface, so I sealed it as best I could, even ran tape around the top seal of the bucket, but never saw any airlock activity.
After about 6 days, I figured I must have been wrong about the viability of the yeast, went and picked up a fresh smack-pack of Pacman, let it swell for 24 hours (lost track of time), and repitched.
2 days later, still no activity on the airlock, and no Krausen.
Hmmmmm.... I finally got out the refractometer, and see that the beer has somehow magically dropped from 16 to 8 (and tastes/smells like good beer). With no other signs of activity I hadn't even bothered checking until now, assuming it was still raw wort. I've since racked to a glass carboy and see occasional airlock action.

Has anyone else ever had an immaculate fermentation like this? Very little outgassing, and no Krausen? Perhaps a product of accidental underpitching, or the copious use of O2? Temps were a pretty steady 68-70 throughout...

I had a stout ferment one time without ever seeing a single bubble out of the airlock. It definitely looked like it had krausened when I checked it 3 days after pitching, but either it was a nocturnal airlock or just never really pushed out any gas. The bucket didn't leak in either batch before or after that one, so I'm assuming it didn't for the stout either.

It turned out great though, so I can't really complain anymore when I don't see an airlock moving.

I say CO2 leak and fermented out before you removed the lid when you took the lid off all the show was over. That said bubbling krausen and other such things are not proof of fermentation ignore them... use a hydrometer. Change in SG is signs fermentation is happening, static SG means show is over.

Clem

there was another thread recently about a krausen-less fermentation and the lack of head on the beer. i had it happen to me with a belgian wit; no krausen and no head on the beer. let us know if you get any head on this beer.

Happening to me right now. The beer is fine. I've had it happen in the past as well, I just attribute it to a leak somewhere. My previous beer that had this issue tasted great and had plenty of head.

I've had this happen a couple of times with Pacman when I ferment it cool (60 - 62 degrees). Beer always comes out fine for me. The first time it caught me off guard but then I said, "I should check this with a hydrometer." I did and the beer had gone from 1.069 to 1.010 and stayed there steady for a week.

Always trust the hydrometer--it doesn't have the capacity to lie.

Yeah, refract says it's beer, so I'll let it rest a week and keg it. Still funny to see *no* signs of fermentation. That's almost the best part. Smoked porter the same age sitting in a bucket next to this one is still bubbling away (slowly).

I'd be disappointed to have a ferment go through so quietly that I never saw a burp.

I have a 60 point Wheat (heavy handed recipe) and a massive 98 point Stout that I pitched Sunday evening both thumping their blowoffs right now. The activity in the carboys looks like dueling washing machines. I can actually hear them upstairs, and they're in my ferm fridge in the basement.

It's a thing of beauty...

Cheers! ;)

This has happened to my milk stout as well, no krausen. I did get some really good activity in the blowoff for the first day or so but it came grinding to a near halt way before the intended FG. Its been slowly dropping over the last 2 weeks. At this point I'm hoping it doesn't stall out (its around 1.036), but it might be time to start thinking of an intervention like yeast nutrient.

Latest posts

Back