I'm tired of homebrew farts.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Enjoy it.

images1.jpeg

stumpwater said:
I don't have a problem because i always roll the bottle on the table before i open it.. Try it

How does this help? I would think that this would put the yeast back in suspension. Just curious...

I laughed so hard at these posts, I had tears rolling down my face.

I've never noticed that my homebrew gives me gas, but then I only keg my beer. Who knows?

I just noticed your handle there, OldStyler. I grew up on Heilleman, repackaged as 9:05.
Big green trash can full of little brown bottles. Throw in your occasional pint of MD 20-20, you've got childhood in South St.Louis in the 70s. Gotta go...tearing up...

I don't think anyone in this thread has hit upon the answer. I've never had the homebrew farts, despite having every combination of beer mentioned above.

mit hefe, clear, homebrew, craft, BMC, high FG, dry, you name it.

I now have this batch of brown ale that is causing me to have gas that wakes me and everyone else in proximity during the night. My diet has not changed recently and when I switch to another batch of homebrew or to craft brew for a day or two, the gas is gone. This is a dry brown ale, at 1.011 FG, so not an inordinate amount of complex oligosaccharides there.

Anyone have any other theories?

There are plenty of reasons that home brew makes us have gas. What do you think malted barley is???? GRAIN!, and grain is one of our top sources of dietary fiber. One liter of beer can have as much as 20% of your daily intake of fiber. I know when I get into my kegs of brew I seldom stop at one liter. Another reason is you are typically ingesting a large amount of C02, and all that excess gas has to go somewhere. Finally YEAST! Yeast co-inhabit in the intestines with over 400 other strands of micro flora bacteria. These bacteria keep the yeast in check, but when we consume more yeast than ussual AKA home brew, it is more than these micro flora can handle and semptoms of that can include bloating and gas. This is what causes gas!

There are plenty of reasons that home brew makes us have gas. What do you think malted barley is???? GRAIN!, and grain is one of our top sources of dietary fiber. One liter of beer can have as much as 20% of your daily intake of fiber. I know when I get into my kegs of brew I seldom stop at one liter. Another reason is you are typically ingesting a large amount of C02, and all that excess gas has to go somewhere. Finally YEAST! Yeast co-inhabit in the intestines with over 400 other strands of micro flora bacteria. These bacteria keep the yeast in check, but when we consume more yeast than ussual AKA home brew, it is more than these micro flora can handle and semptoms of that can include bloating and gas. This is what causes gas!

And when it comes to yeast, I think different types of yeast can have different effects on gastrointestinal activity..

Just be reasonable. Have an extra bathroom for all your homebrew related troubles. If you ain't balling hard enough to afford that shizzle, then teach everyone around you to appreciate a good Dutch oven.

The Dutch have been a thriving culture for hundreds of years and know how to deal with these things.

Back