I'm switching to Better Bottles GRAPHIC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad you're all sewn up but I bet you got a little pain going on tonight. Those are multiple nasty looking cuts.

Surprisingly little to no pain. Maybe tomorrow will be worse, I dunno. I did get a prescription for pain meds but so far have only taken one (yesterday).

Holy Crap JTizzle!

Glad you're ok dude. Go plastic!

One tip to folks out there..the plastic carboy brush WILL scratch the inside of your BB and make them more difficult to clean over time...so try to stick with the towel/soak with PBW method as much as possible.

PS, My citra turned out great. Drinking it right now!

Thanks to the OG. This is a great awareness to be careful when handing large, heavy, breakable objects. The only way I'll ever stop using glass carboys is if I use stainless steel, so ..."duly noted".

Wow, I'm going to make sure I have some gloves on and long pants next time into moving my carboy around. How does this happen, if you drop it does it turn into some kind of glass grenade?

+1 to gloves with the glass carboys. I got a thread on here from my carboy accident, cut through half my pinky finger right near the webbing. I went and ordered 3 better bottles afterwards. I still have 3 glass carboys that I only go to if the better bottles are full (like yesterday). I threw the gloves on and used the milk crate.

jaytizzle said:
After me being a ******* forced me to spend my day in the ER getting 13 stitches, I've decided I'm too stupid for glass and need to switch to plastic.

Pictures to follow.

If it makes you feel any better, Your not the only *******. This was done with a razor knife. 8 stitches.

image-2340794692.jpg

Wow, I'm going to make sure I have some gloves on and long pants next time into moving my carboy around. How does this happen, if you drop it does it turn into some kind of glass grenade?

When it broke, the shrapnel is what cut my hand, I think. The cuts in my leg came from the top half of the carboy shifting over and crashing down on my leg. Thank goodness it hit my shin instead of just calf meat.

If it makes you feel any better, Your not the only *******. This was done with a razor knife. 8 stitches.

Got it. No glass carboys for me, no razor knives for you! I've stabbed my hand with a knife before but never a razor knife. That's a helluva gash. Do they sell chain-mail gloves for people like you and I?

When it broke, the shrapnel is what cut my hand, I think. The cuts in my leg came from the top half of the carboy shifting over and crashing down on my leg. Thank goodness it hit my shin instead of just calf meat.

Got it. No glass carboys for me, no razor knives for you! I've stabbed my hand with a knife before but never a razor knife. That's a helluva gash. Do they sell chain-mail gloves for people like you and I?

Actually they do. I used to work at Arby's and we had chain mail gloves that we had to wear when cleaning the slicer.

Yeah, my buddy severed the tendon in his big toe dropping a glass carboy on it. Sadly, he no longer brews (still drinks like hell). Hope you heal quick!

Brew Scars... better than normal scars I always say. The ladies will love it. Anyway, be careful everyone. More threads like this and you'll make a few more people faint.

I think too many people brew without considering it as an industrial-type of activity that requires a modicum of safety.

This may sound heretical, but getting drunk while brewing or racking beer is not a bright idea. I'm also amazed at how many people go barefoot or wear flip flops when brewing; at the very least you should be wearing something that covers your entire foot. And never move a glass carboy without using of a 'Brew Hauler' or sturdy milk crate.

I brew at my buddy's house a lot, he uses glass and when we're done we have to haul the thing into the basement...It freaks my out every time! Between him and I, we've brews 7 batches now. I'm already over watching it ferment and bought 2 buckets a few batches back.

I think too many people brew without considering it is an industrial-type of activity that requires a modicum of safety.

This may sound heretical, but getting drunk while brewing or racking beer is not a bright idea. I'm also amazed at how many people go barefoot or wear flip flops when brewing; at the very least you should be wearing something that covers your entire foot. And never move a glass carboy without using of a 'Brew Hauler' or sturdy milk crate.

Agree on the drinking, but not the barefoot part. I brew next to the pool and not only am I barefoot the whole time but I'm probably dripping wet too. :eek:

Thank you all for your concern. I'm healing up nicely. Got my stitches removed on Saturday.

I ordered six of the 6-gallon better bottles yesterday. I've also got a local buyer lined up for my remaining glass carboys so I'm all set soon. Hopefully they show up this week because I want to brew again!

Like I said, I think you could duct tape or use clear packing tape all around a glass carboy and protect yourself from this also. In doing that you'd get to keep the glass ones you already have.

Glad to hear you are OK. when I was growing up, we had a friend who owned a vineyard in Napa, and he would let us scavenge what was left on the vines after harvest. Dad had a 5 gallon carbon sitting in the dining room, right near where my siblings were playing ball. Gallons of red wine all over, luckily no one was hurt.

Guess I'll rethink getting glass carboys, especially since I am on blood-thinners....

Like I said, I think you could duct tape or use clear packing tape all around a glass carboy and protect yourself from this also. In doing that you'd get to keep the glass ones you already have.

There's no way wrapping the carboy in duct tape would have contained this. It weighed approximately 70# when full and I dropped it. It may have caused it to stay together a bit better but I still would have been cut. The damn thing was just too heavy. The glass would have cut right through the tape. Maybe not as bad but would not have prevented it. That being said, I'm glad to get rid of the glass. I don't have any interest in using them anymore. If I ever get an infected batch from the better bottle, I'll just toss it out and replace with a new one.

to all of those saying use a brew-hauler, are those really safer than the metal handles? I've never used one, but the brew hauler didn't seem like the most sturdy thing to me.

Actually the metal handles make me nervous. They are ok for moving an empty carboy, but no way I'd trust it to support a full carboy. The brewhaulers are made of tough nylon, similar to that used for cargo straps. The only weak point IMO is the plastic buckle, but after several years of use I've had not any issues, however I always double check the buckle to make sure its full snapped together.

lmao @ b-boy!

As far as the metal handles go, they're basically "decorative". I've heard more than one story in my local homebrew club about a carboy breaking at the neck when being carried by that handle. That being said, I do use them that way (or at least I used to).

The brewhauler would have helped me in moving the carboy around but that wasn't my problem. Moral to my story is don't pour from a full carboy, it's much too heavy and is likely to be at least a little wet if you're cleaning it or develop condensation if you're moving from inside to outside.

lmao @ b-boy!

As far as the metal handles go, they're basically "decorative". I've heard more than one story in my local homebrew club about a carboy breaking at the neck when being carried by that handle. That being said, I do use them that way (or at least I used to).

The brewhauler would have helped me in moving the carboy around but that wasn't my problem. Moral to my story is don't pour from a full carboy, it's much too heavy and is likely to be at least a little wet if you're cleaning it or develop condensation if you're moving from inside to outside.

Interesting. So back in the day before brew-haulers, whats was the "safe" way to move a carboy? Bear hug?

Interesting. So back in the day before brew-haulers, whats was the "safe" way to move a carboy? Bear hug?

This resonates with me and I have to add to it. I am a little bit offended at this whole thread.

Glass can break and it's sharp. We get it. It's a good reminder, almost as good as: brewing involves handling dangerous equipment... so don't drink while brewing, just like you don't drink while driving.

Many people have glass carboys and like them. Someone (and maybe 20 registered others) dropped their carboy and really hurt themselves in a way that is barely imaginable. So.... should every one say "sucker" to glass carboy owners until they stop using them. Or can we move on?

iambeer said:
This resonates with me and I have to add to it. I am a little bit offended at this whole thread.

Glass can break and it's sharp. We get it. It's a good reminder, almost as good as: brewing involves handling dangerous equipment... so don't drink while brewing, just like you don't drink while driving.

Many people have glass carboys and like them. Someone (and maybe 20 registered others) dropped their carboy and really hurt themselves in a way that is barely imaginable. So.... should every one say "sucker" to glass carboy owners until they stop using them. Or can we move on?

I have zero idea why you would be offended by this thread, but that's certainly your right.

As for moving on... What's with the we? If you want to move on, do. Why does it matter to you what anyone else does?

Plenty of people have had carboys break while sober and while being careful.

Really? I guess I don't tune unto Oprah enough to know that.

By we I meant everyone. But I guess we can't move on then, isn't it?

iambeer said:
Really? I guess I don't tune unto Oprah enough to know that.

By we I meant everyone. But I guess we can't move on then, isn't it?

and again I ask, why does it matter to you what anyone else wants to talk about. this thread offends you, easy solution.... Don't read it. :D

BrewKnurd said:
I have zero idea why you would be offended by this thread, but that's certainly your right.

As for moving on... What's with the we? If you want to move on, do. Why does it matter to you what anyone else does?

i agree. i've switched to Better bottles because i don't want to learn the hard way. I really like my new carboys. I like the spigots. If you don't that's fine. Its personal choice and I dont have any vested interest in your choice. Just want to share my views in case it can help somebody else. Damn brewing is fun!

and again I ask, why does it matter to you what anyone else wants to talk about. this thread offends you, easy solution.... Don't read it. :D

You aren't really helping anything if you are going to alienate people like me. Plastic users patting themselves on the back? Enjoy.

You aren't really helping anything if you are going to alienate people like me.

...but you making comments that would imply that people that drink while handling carboy's are the only one's that end up breaking them is very helpful!
:rolleyes:

iambeer said:
You aren't really helping anything if you are going to alienate people like me. Plastic users patting themselves on the back? Enjoy.

I just asked you questions. If that alienates you, I don't know what to tell you. If being challenged in a discussion forum alienates you, I don't know what to tell you.

It's awesome that you're happy with your glass. implying that if people would just stay sober, they wouldn't have this problem, which assumes everone who's ever had an accident was drunk, was unnecessary, but whatever. your latest comment on folks patting themselves on the back is patronizing, but again, whatever. But seriously, asking people to stop discussing a topic on a discussion forum? If you have such scorn for this thread and the people in it....... Spend your time in other threads and your problem is solved.

I'm not trying to alienate you, I'm suggesting an alternative that meets your needs. You're not very likely to get people to stop talking about a topic just because you request them to "move on."

Seriously, not trying to alienate you.

...but you making comments that would imply that people that drink while handling carboy's are the only one's that end up breaking them is very helpful!
:rolleyes:

If the point of this thread was:

Glass can break
And it is sharp
Be careful
Buy the damn nylon straps if you buy glass carboys

Then I would not care. But the thread is more about how plastic is better because it is implied that glass is bound to break for no reason.

Glass will break and it is sharp. Be careful. Buy the damn nylon straps.

Then I would not care. But the thread is more about how plastic is better because it is implied that glass is bound to break for no reason.

Glass will break and it is sharp. Be careful. Buy the damn nylon straps.

I don't see where that is implied. There are lots of posts where people say they have more peace of mind with plastic. There are lots of posts where people say "yup, you gotta be careful with glass". There is one post I have seen that even maybe implies that glass might break "for no reason". Where exactly do you see this implication of glass being bound to break for no reason?

I mean, the OP even said he was being a *******. And knowing JT, he probably was. ;)

Obviously you sir are convinced. :) I do hope you continue to enjoy this thread and as you say I will not read it further!

Well, I for one would have a VERY hard time not lying about those scars and coming up with some kind of very interesting, violent, heroic shark bite story. Or one that starts off with "There I was, there I was, there I was... in the jungle..."

Not that brewing injuries aren't just as glorious, mind you.

As for me, I'll stick to plastic and take my chances with the sharks.

Back