I'm sorry to post a question the second I join, but I need help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crunchy

Reaction score
I set up EdWort's apfelwein yesterday afternoon, and it's bubbling like mad. Yay.

I just peeked at it, though, and it's gotten a bit foamy, and a small portion of the foam has crept up the tube of the vapor lock (I'm using one of the S shaped ones) and now the vodka is quiet cloudy.

Should I just leave it? Pull the vapor lock off, empty, re-sanitize, refill with vodka and replace? Do that, but wait until it's done bubbling in a few days? Something else?

Any advice would be appreciated.

I set up EdWort's apfelwein yesterday afternoon, and it's bubbling like mad. Yay.

I just peeked at it, though, and it's gotten a bit foamy, and a small portion of the foam has crept up the tube of the vapor lock (I'm using one of the S shaped ones) and now the vodka is quiet cloudy.

Should I just leave it? Pull the vapor lock off, empty, re-sanitize, refill with vodka and replace? Do that, but wait until it's done bubbling in a few days? Something else?

Pull the vapor lock off, empty, re-sanitize, refill with vodka and replace

You could use a blow of tube if you have a three piece air lock. I make wine and have had the same issue you describe. I have taken the air lock of and cleaned it without a problem.

Same thing happen to me my last brew. Just take it off clean it out with some sanitizer refill with vodka and replace it. You will be fine keep a eye on it for a day or so. It will soon stop being really foamy and then you don't need to worry about it till it done.

Welcome!

:mug:

You have some nerve asking questions right away ! ;)

Depending on how rapidly its bubbling, you may want to go with a blow off tube first. It can be a pain and a horrendous waste of perfectly good cheap vodka to end up cleaning the air lock every day for the first few days.

No need to apologize for asking a question. That's what we're here for. I'd pull the airlock out of the stopper and put a piece of tubing that fits tightly in the hole of the stopper then place the other end in a jar of water (no need to use vodka as it won't get sucked back up the tube.) This is a blow-off. What yeast did you use?

In the future, I would recommend using 3-piece air locks. They are much easier to clean and you can easily attach tubing to the air lock "body" to make a blow off tube. Our local home brew shop has them for $1.50 each.

Regardless, it sounds like your fermentation is off to a good start. Welcome to HBT.

Done! Thanks you all. I followed your advice, and cleaned it, re-sanitized, and replaced it.

I don't know what a blow tube is, but I'm going to find out. I sort of jumped into this precipitously, and I usually don't do that (I'm boringly methodical), but I took my summer vacation this week and wanted to do something I've never done, but wanted to for a long time, and that was making alcohol.

Thanks again everyone. I'll post my introduction first thing tomorrow. Right now the cats and dogs are acting like they're starving and that I never feed them. They are liars!

Here is what a blow off tube looks like.

It really isn't complicated at all. Maybe next time, if you need one, it'll help.

Hope you are having a great time with the brewing. If you think its fun/addicting now, wait till you start to taste the fruit of your labor.

Also, look up how to make dog treats out of your old grains on here. I just discovered it, so the next chance I get, I'm doing it. My dogs lie too. Don't feel too bad. :mug:

...DITO to what's already been said.

A few old-heads I know scoff at airlocks. They say that just a clean rag laying over the hole is fine. They did it that way their whole lives with "no problems".

As for me, I wouldn't feel safe without one, so a blow-off hose would be my first choice

Back