I'm shootin' for a Porter, does this sound about right?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeehiveBrewer

Reaction score
Hey guys. Here are the ingredients I have. Do you think it could resemble a porter? If not, what do you think I might get :)

I am aiming at a beer to please my wife. I wanted a dark beer, kinda sweet, not too bitter.

9 lb MF Dark extract
1 lb Carastan
1 lb Chocolate
1/2 lb black patent ( I only planned on using 1/4 lb in the brew)

1 oz Cascade 5% for 60 min
1 oz Centennial 9.6% for 2 min
1 oz Centennial 9.6% in the secondary

If you are aiming for a beer with some malty sweetness use some crystal malt, probably .5-.75lb of crystal 40L, this should add some body and sweetness to balance the roastiness. Also I wouldn't use that much chocolate malt or dark malt extract, go with light malt extract and let the roasted grains contribute color to the beer.

How would it change it if I only use 6 lbs of extract? Would it be lighter bodied and have a lower alcohol content due to less fermentable sugars?

How would a full pound of chocolate malt make it taste?

It looks as though you are going for an Americanized robust porter, this is why I suggested a slightly sweet/caramely crystal malt instead of a biscuity/toasty malt like Carastan. Using .5lb chocolate will give the beer less of a roasty flavor and make it different from a stout. If you use less malt extract your beer will have less alcohol, but this is not a bad thing because you want the beer to be balanced and drinkable.

I'd switch to light extract as well. Also, if you're trying to stick to the style change your hops. Fuggles, East Kent Goldings, or maybe Challenger, and as Bradsul said skip the dry hopping.

I'd cut the Black Patent to 2 oz. and use 8 oz of chocolate with the dark extract. 6 pounds would make this more of a session brew. Very good for cold weather.

Well, the wort is chillin' in the bathtub. (I need to get an immersion chiller. It will pay for itself since ice is 1.50 / bag.

I went with 6 lbs of MF dark
1 lb carastan
1/2 lb chocolate
and a cup of black patent

1 oz cascade 5% @ 60 min
1 oz centennial 9.6% @ 2 min

I guess it's not traditional, but I'm excited to see how it turns out.

Thanks for the advice

Latest posts

Back