I'm ready to kill my boss........!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andylegate

Reaction score
Ever worked at a place that was just fine at first, but then down the line the boss starts to micromanage everything? It drives me up the wall! To the point where even comming home and having one of my homebrews still doesn't settle my nerves!
We're a small business (all of 10 employees!). We're an electronics repair facility that repairs the electronic equipment that the cable companies use to give you cable. We fix stuff all the way down to the componet level. The owner of the company has this very bad habit of comming into the lab and running it, instead of letting the lab manager run the lab (thank god I don't have his job, I would have been fired quite a while ago since I won't put up with that).
The lab manager is one of those "Yes Men" and won't put up even a token argument with her about something. Of course if I speak up about it, I'm seen as "Causing a Problem".
There have been many times that I've pointed out that something is not going to work, or a better way to do something, but tend to get blown off or not listened to. Needless to say, they are having many problems now due to this.
She is the owner, so yes, she does have say in how she wants her company to run. But a wise person who made millions from a small store he bought (Sam Walton of Walmart) once said: "Listen to your employees. They are the best resource you could ever have."
I could quit (and they would have kittens about that since I'm the only one that knows how to do many things there, from my 20+ years of experience) as I don't have to absolutely have this job. But finding another job is no easy task nowadays, and even though we could still pay our bills, things would be tight and I'd have to quit homebrewing for a while (NEVER! DO YOU HEAR ME? NEVER I SAY!!!!! lol!).
I'm seriously thinking about freelancing though. Don't know how well that would work. Y'all know people that need their fiberoptic transmitter and recievers fixed? How about their headend systems? (that's modulators and satellite receivers). Line equipment?

It's even worse if you work for the government...

Not much is more demoralizing than when what seems like a reasonable idea is met with,
"That will need approval by the Secretary of Defense."

Yuri_Rage said:
It's even worse if you work for the government...

Not much is more demoralizing than when what seems like a reasonable idea is met with,
"That will need approval by the Secretary of Defense."

LOL! Actually, I DID work for the goverment, for 10 years. I was in the United States Navy from 84 to 94! However, micromanagement was not tolerated. You had a very strict chain of command, and you used it. But, when I needed parts of the radar system? Like pulling teeth! But that I did understand very well, we had a budget and had to stay within it. The only time the budget went out the window was when my ship was over in the Persian Gulf for the Gulf War. Then it was "Keep it working at all cost!"

My theory on work has always been the same and it's served me pretty well...

It's not my company, so I really don't care. I do what I'm told and collect my paycheck. I offer my opinion when I have one, but if they don't listen - F it. I'll do it whatever f'ed up way they want it done.

I figure it's nothing personal, why should I get gray over something that's not going to put any money in my pocket??

I quit one of those jobs. I coped by hitting a heavy bag for an hour before starting my regular workout.

My blood pressure was down 15 points a month after quitting and my doctor stopped threatening to put me on medication for it.

I have many job titles.

I'm in middle management with my medical group (EMS director), but a low man on the totem pole when it comes to clinical decisions.

I also work for the state of Illinois (I'm the only Republican Rod Blagoyevich has appointed, (I believe), so I have a lot of pull with the state, and the state has a lot of pull with me.

I also work as an aux. deputy for one of our local counties on the SWAT team.

I'm pulled in many directions at once, and political environment surrounds me whereever I go.

I guess I feel your pain. You are in a position of action, yet noone will listen to you. I have that time and time again.

I guess I've found an outlet in going out and shooting things and brewing.

so, have one on me, and RDWAHAHB.

:ban: :mug:

I have the opposite problem: a boss who's too hands off. I'm never given any assignments, I have to think them all up on my own. And there's never any feedback, nor does he tell me what's needed. And when I try to get involved in continuous projects, he tells me know.

So I've had three interviews in the past two weeks. I'm shooting down one of them before they even tell me if they want me or not, and really hoping that either of the other two make me an offer.

Biermann said:
Woe to that SOB suspect who pulls a gun on me during a SWAT callout. . . that's all I have to say. . .*L*

Lot of penned up frustration here. . .

ROFLMAO!!! You remind me of my step brother who's with the county sheriff dept.

rdwj said:
My theory on work has always been the same and it's served me pretty well...

It's not my company, so I really don't care. I do what I'm told and collect my paycheck. I offer my opinion when I have one, but if they don't listen - F it. I'll do it whatever f'ed up way they want it done.

I figure it's nothing personal, why should I get gray over something that's not going to put any money in my pocket??

That's precisely my attitude as well. Why get worked up over things that I am powerless to change anyway. I give my opinion, especially if asked, but I'll throw the baby out with the bath water if that is what they want me to do.

Andylegate- I think we've all felt your pain from time to time. There's few things worse than a manager that can't get far enough from the situation to let you work things out for yourself. Makes you fee like they think you're incompetent. Next time you're headed to the john, try inviting the boss in to make sure you do it right.
I make my living with the parts you repair. I've dealt with a company in Western NC some over the last few years. I think they have a facility in SC somewhere. I'm trying to find their number now. I need some old style C-Cor pads from them. If I can find their number, I'll PM it to you. I've talked with the owner several times over the years and he seems cool. They buy and refurbish old line and headend gear. Might be worth checking into.
Hang in there. Drink often!

sudsmonkey said:
Andylegate- I think we've all felt your pain from time to time. There's few things worse than a manager that can't get far enough from the situation to let you work things out for yourself. Makes you fee like they think you're incompetent. Next time you're headed to the john, try inviting the boss in to make sure you do it right.
I make my living with the parts you repair. I've dealt with a company in Western NC some over the last few years. I think they have a facility in SC somewhere. I'm trying to find their number now. I need some old style C-Cor pads from them. If I can find their number, I'll PM it to you. I've talked with the owner several times over the years and he seems cool. They buy and refurbish old line and headend gear. Might be worth checking into.
Hang in there. Drink often!

The company in NC wouldn't be West 1 would it? The reason I ask is that we had some people drive up there and try to strike a deal with doing repairs for them. Cracked me up since they took the lab manager and he was put on the spot for technical questions. Problem was, he was asked about headend and fiber which he knows very, VERY little about.
LOL! I offered to go with them, but they decided that it was just going to be a sales pitch.
Now the FUNNY thing, is that we've seen a grand total of 18 pieces from them for repair. I on the other had ended up talking with a gentleman from Michagan, who works for a repair facility up there. He had a lot of fiber that he can't test or get parts for. I've done quite a bit of work for them. Enough so that they've even started to send me their satellite receivers. Funny thing too. Part of their problem was that they were sending their fiber out to places like Comsonics and Tulsat and were getting them back as "Non-Repairable" claiming that they needed new lasers and that they are not made anymore. All that was BS, as it is very rare for the laser to fail. It CAN, but these lasers are still made, you just have to know where to go to get them. As it turned out, out of the first set of equipment they sent to me 99% did NOT need new lasers, they just needed repair of either the biasing control circuit or repair of the RF circuit.
So what kind of pads do you need? Chances are, I might have them, and in the mood I'm in, I just might bag them up and send them to you for free! :drunk:

Replied to the PM before reading this.
I just love getting crap back that supposedly has been repaired and is still crap right out of the package.
That was West ! I was talking about. Never dealt with anyone but the owner, He seemed pretty knowledgeable and was easy to work with. I did a rebuild for a small independent system a couple of years ago. Kelly was always right there to take their money and get me the gear I needed in a hurry. It worked out pretty well.
The pads I need fit all the old pre 1995 c-cor amps. The black L shaped ones. Mostly, I need 0dB, 4,5,7,10,11- about 15dB. I'm only looking for about 10 of the 0's , and five,or so each of the rest. THe company keeps talking about upgrading my corner of the world. I need the pads that they don't have to keep it going until then.
Got all the modules I could ever need. I also have a bunch of older headend gear that they won't let me throw out. Just sits there hogging up headend space. I hope the floor caves in from the sheer weight of unused VC 2 units.
Ahhh, technology....

Latest posts

Back