I'm looking for a citrus/grapefruit IPA recipe (AG)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

urg8rb8

Reaction score
Anyone have a favorite? I'm trying to plan ahead for my next batch! :)

This remains one of my favorite beers that ive brewed to date, with the exception of the Citra/Maris Otter SMaSH beer that i just kegged, which is out of this world. I just made another post with that recipe, too.

This one is a Bell's Two-Hearted clone, which is all Centennial, combined with a few things gleaned from CYBI's show on Firestone Walker Union Jack, specifically the dry hop additions. It's basically B2H but with Simcoe and Amarillo in the dry hop, along with centennial. Talk about grapefruit and citrus.

This is my first time posting a recipe, and i'm not totally sure how to do it, so lets try this:

Bell's Two-Hearted Clone

American IPA (14 B)

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 3.00 gal
Boil Size: 4.58 gal
Boil Time: 75 min
End of Boil Vol: 3.64 gal
Final Bottling Vol: 2.50 gal
Fermentation: Ale, Single Stage

Date: 09 Apr 2015
Brewer:
Asst Brewer:
Equipment: Ryan's Brewery
Efficiency: 63.85 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 74.5 %
Taste Rating: 30.0

Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amt

Name

Type

#

%/IBU

6.00 lb Briess 2-Row (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 75.0 %
1.70 lb Great Western Pale Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 2 21.2 %
0.30 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 3 3.8 %
0.55 oz Centennial [9.10 %] - Boil 45.0 min Hop 4 31.6 IBUs
0.50 oz Centennial [9.10 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 5 16.3 IBUs
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 6 -
1.20 oz Centennial [9.10 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 30.0 min Hop 7 23.3 IBUs
2.0 pkg California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [35.49 ml] Yeast 8 -
1.10 oz Centennial [9.10 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
0.60 oz Amarillo [9.20 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
0.60 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 11 0.0 IBUs

Gravity, Alcohol Content and Color

Est Original Gravity: 1.062 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.4 %
Bitterness: 71.2 IBUs
Est Color: 6.5 SRM

Measured Original Gravity: 1.063 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.007 SG

Holler if you have any questions. I brewed this twice, but the 2nd time i screwed up and tossed in the 1st hops at the start of the 75 min boil, so it was a bit too bitter, so i gave that keg to my brother-in-law to take on vacation. He and his brothers finished it in 36 hours.

Happy Brewing!

What is your question? I recently did an Arrogant Bastard clone with 100% Chinook and don't really love it. I like my recipe better.

Brew the recipe that I posted and just back down the 45 min hop edition to t level of IBUs that you desire. My recipe is a tad on the bitter side, so it'll do well with lower bitterness

I followed this recipe and really enjoyed the result. I think I'll brew another batch tomorrow.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/allgrain/AG-Grapefruit-Pulpin.pdf

I like the vodka/grapefruit idea. Did you just zest the grapefruit or actually peel it? I've read that the pith (white part under the skin) might impart too much bitterness. I did zest at flameout when I did one recently (mostly simcoe and mosaic hops), wondering if I should split the batch at bottling and add grapefruit infused vodka...

Also used US-05.

I like the vodka/grapefruit idea. Did you just zest the grapefruit or actually peel it? I've read that the pith (white part under the skin) might impart too much bitterness. I did zest at flameout when I did one recently (mostly simcoe and mosaic hops), wondering if I should split the batch at bottling and add grapefruit infused vodka...

Also used US-05.

Anyone ever try using grapefruit juice mixed with vodka to kill any bacteria?

Back