Im in trouble now !

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrchicken

Reaction score
I just figured out how to get the Search Function to work on the recipe section of the forum.... Hooooo boy am I in trouble now !

Got a simple Hefe recipe on order.
The ale recipe that comes with the kit

And I am looking for a chocolate porter recipe that is on the malty sweet side rather than the bitter roasted/burnt side of the flavor spectrum.

I better get some bottles in the fridge before the wife finds the receipts !:ban:

Best bet for avoiding roasty dark malt flavor and more of the smooth chocolatey malty flavor... Cold Steep. Rather than mash the grains, cold steep the dark malts in cold water over night (kinda like cold brew coffee) and add to the wort at flameout. By doing that it will still pasteurize the liquid and wont cause it to be roasty. Enjoy hiding from your wife :D

You don't even really need to cold steep. Just dough in your lighter grains and mash as usual. Then add the dark grains for the last 15 minutes of the mash. It will extract the color without the bitterness. I have a vanilla porter I do this with and it comes out smooth as silk with no roasted bite.

You don't even really need to cold steep. Just dough in your lighter grains and mash as usual. Then add the dark grains for the last 15 minutes of the mash. It will extract the color without the bitterness. I have a vanilla porter I do this with and it comes out smooth as silk with no roasted bite.

Never tried it that way. I've always cold steeped them (ever since I stopped straight up mashing them) and it has always ended up super smooth and rich with little to no roasty

Back