I'm in a mellow mood tonight....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
We started with Townes Van Zandt during dinner, and then I started listening to EmmyLou, Gram Parsons, Tom Waits, Waylon, a little Willie Nelson, Patsy Cline, and KD Lang. Switching over to Neil Young in a bit, though.

I almost never listen to this kind of music- what a nice change. What do you listen to when you're mellow?

Lorena

Personally the most relaxing music to me is smooth jazz, but no one in the house likes it except me.

the_bird said:
Lorena, you listen to Tom Waits when you want to feel mellow?

Is it too late to ask you to marry me?

Well, I AM mellow now. I just listened to "closing time" and "I hope I don't fall in love with you." I have 3500 songs on my hard drive, so I don't play most of the songs. When I do, it's always a surprise how good they are!

If I keep drinking, I'll be listening to Hank Williams before long.........
I also love Bob Marley, but my husband HATES it. Nothing like, "Smoke two joints" and "No woman, no cry" to relax you.

Lorena

PS- Only if you're a bigamist!

Most of those...in fact, I was just listening to Love Hurts as done by Emmylou and Gram Parsons. This morning I had the new Willie cd in, produced by Ryan Adams, which to be honest is a bit hit or miss, but still has a few good tracks on it.

Sirius has a channel called Outlaw Country which is basically all the artists you listed above and then some...probably 75% of my Sirius listening.

Baron von BeeGee said:
Most of those...in fact, I was just listening to Love Hurts as done by Emmylou and Gram Parsons. This morning I had the new Willie cd in, produced by Ryan Adams, which to be honest is a bit hit or miss, but still has a few good tracks on it.

Sirius has a channel called Outlaw Country which is basically all the artists you listed above and then some...probably 75% of my Sirius listening.

We just listened to the very same Love Hurts about 15 minutes ago- right before "Wheels". My husband loves those. Wow- hard to believe you're listening to the same stuff tonight.

Lorena

I have her "greatest hits" cd from last year (or year before?). My favorite on it is Boulder to Birmingham.

Speaking of Gram Parsons, I iTunes'ed the Lucinda Williams (one of my favs) cover of Grievous Angel which, if I may be so bold, I actually like better than the original.

If you like that kind of stuff you should check out Merlefest, every April in Wilkesboro, NC. I've never been, but I have several friends who go every year and say it's incredible:
http://www.merlefest.org/

The lineup will make any lover of American music drool.

McKBrew said:
Personally the most relaxing music to me is smooth jazz, but no one in the house likes it except me.

Yep, I know. I listen to XM Watercolors. It's great! SWMBO likes it after a few glasses of Apfelwein though. :D

A few o'mine:

Toad the Wet Sprocket
Sunny Day Real Estate
The Cure
Pink Floyd

Cheers!

:mug:

Bob, I love Bob. I put on Marley and get back to me later.

Mellow times for me call for Donald Fagen, (with or without Walter Becker, however "Kamakiriad" has been in the player for a bit now...) Jimmy Buffet, the occasional Phish cd, or any of my more mellow blues cd's.

I always rely on B.B. to relax me as well...

Ize

I'd stick with your original idea and put on some Neil, probably Harvest. Or Rust Never Sleeps. Maybe some Thrasher or Pocahontas. There is Neil Young for every mood.

Mellow? Definitely Young, Dylan, Simon & Garfunkel <....the boxer?!?....>, Nick Drake.

Tom Waits when mellow though? That's pretty hardcore.....I usually listen to Tom Waits when I sh*tfaced, depressed and angry. :D My second choice for a name here when I signed up was going to be Earth Died Screaming.:tank:

lorenae said:
...Townes Van Zandt...EmmyLou, Gram Parsons, Tom Waits, Waylon, a little Willie Nelson, Patsy Cline, and KD Lang...Neil Young...
I couldn't listen to any of those even if I were paid $1000.00 an hour.:mad:

I'll go with Marley and Buffett, and I'm always in the Floyd crowd myself.

About CSN&Y, I can listen and enjoy them all together, but I can't stand them alone. Strange, huh?:confused:

homebrewer_99 said:
About CSN&Y, I can listen and enjoy them all together, but I can't stand them alone. Strange, huh?:confused:

Nope. I'm with you on that one!

:cross:

homebrewer_99 said:
I'll go with Marley and Buffett, and I'm always in the Floyd crowd myself.

I always like Floyd when I'm feeling melancholy. The older and more jaded I get the less that happens, but it does. (and FWIW, "ANIMALS" may be the ultimate Floyd for me. "Meddle" held it for a long time, but in the end, it's always back to the Dogs)

Eh..... CSN&Y. In the end Neil is the only good solo...

Ize

Ize said:
I always like Floyd when I'm feeling melancholy. The older and more jaded I get the less that happens, but it does. (and FWIW, "ANIMALS" may be the ultimate Floyd for me. "Meddle" held it for a long time, but in the end, it's always back to the Dogs)

Eh..... CSN&Y. In the end Neil is the only good solo...

Ize

Hey Ize, good to see (er...post with...) you!!!

I put this out there for anyone with "herb" intentions...

The Cure - Faith

Also, Wish You Were Here is good for melancholy...

The Wall good for releasing some steam and trippin...

And Live at Pompei for when you're feeling psychedelic...

:fro:

Pumbaa said:
Metalica, Antrax, SOD, Marlyn Manson, NiN . . . . and bagpipe and drum lines

what can I say I'm wierd

I almost said:

System of a Down and
Tool

But gazed at the grey in the audience and thought otherwise...

/poetic

Pumbaa said:
Metalica, Antrax, SOD, Marlyn Manson, NiN . . . . and bagpipe and drum lines

what can I say I'm wierd

I am usually that way too, honestly. I pick something loud as hell, crank it, and go to sleep.

I do like some jazz on those lazy mellow days as well. I have a favorite CD called "Private Reserve" by Jazz on the Vine that is freaking awesome. Listen to some samples HERE.

Last edited by a moderator:
Spyk'd said:
I almost said:

System of a Down and
Tool

/poetic

Ah no, sometimes the mellow will be inline with the agessive, because for me anyway those sometimes gel.... and if that's the case Metallica and Live definitely fit the bill.

The thing is, it always comes back to Led for my head for me. Weird as it is, i can listen to "Since I've Been Loving You" in any way shape or form and hear a million different nuances in the song, but the blues base in that band is what does it.

Ize

I'm getting off-topic--but a song I ALWAYS play as one of the last of the night is "Three days" by Jane's Addiction. If you haven't ever played it--give it a listen next time you've got a good buzz and it is getting time to close up shop for the night. It is a KILLER song. It goes through SO many emotions for me.

Dude, most Jane's Addiction is that way...

Actually, that entire album, Ritual de lo Habitual, (minus the barking dogs) is start to finish good and deserves its place in rock history...

On an entirely different note, Velvet Revolver anyone?

A good night closer is this one:
Loving the Alien

:rockin:

Dude said:
I'm getting off-topic--but a song I ALWAYS play as one of the last of the night is "Three days" by Jane's Addiction. If you haven't ever played it--give it a listen next time you've got a good buzz and it is getting time to close up shop for the night. It is a KILLER song. It goes through SO many emotions for me.

That's odd....I can't count the times I crashed to that song when I was in Florida. We'd always put it on after we came in from a long night of partying.

Also great is Bob Marley and any live Greatful Dead stuff. I haven't listened to Marley in a long time......

SwAMi75 said:
I haven't listened to Marley in a long time......

<whisper> Bob......... get out the Bob........ u know you want to..... :D

(pardon, i blame Bob channeling the Dead Guy Ale...)

Ok, I dig Bob AND Dead Guy Ale.....

:D

Ize

Spyk'd said:
I almost said:

System of a Down and
Tool

/poetic

Ah, up in the morning now and back to reality.....

My husband (age 52) LOVES Tool. Also, Alice in Chains, particularly Jerry Cantrell with his solo stuff. We like Jane's Addiction, and I really like NiN, too. We're huge Chris Cornell fans and still listen to the Soundgarden and Audioslave stuff as well as his solo CD.

My kids (teenagers) hate it when they are here with a bunch of friends and we yell at them, "Hey turn that music UP!". Unless my son is playing his crap- Fall Out Boy, or Blink-182. No tolerance for that, but we are into just about everything else.

It's almost time (5 weeks or so) for our annual pilgrimage to Eleuthera. I gotta get out the Bob, and the Buffet pretty soon to prepare our mindsets.

Lorena

Ize said:
Ize

You are oh so right. However, I will throw in a vote for The Final Cut as well.

Agreeing as well with Neil, S&G, Nick Drake, Zeppelin.

I'll also throw out some of the "newer" artists. Bonnie "Prince" Bill (Will Oldham), Acetone, Death Cab for Cutie, Mojave 3, Sigur Ros, One AM Radio, Low.

Can you tell I have headphones permanently inserted into my ear canals?

With a club tie and a firm handshake... :fro:

trinitone said:
I'll also throw out some of the "newer" artists. Bonnie "Prince" Bill (Will Oldham), Acetone, Death Cab for Cutie, Mojave 3, Sigur Ros, One AM Radio, Low.
I'm a huge fan of Bonnie Prince Billy. Along the mellow lines, I'd also throw in Cat Power, Iron and Wine (endless numbered days is one of my faves from the last few years), The Shins, and especially Wilco. Wilco, IMHO, is one of the greatest American rock bands functioning right now. YHF and A Ghost Is Born are, quite simply, masterpieces. I could loop Handshake Drugs, Hummingbird, Ashes of American Flags, Poor Places, and Hell Is Chrome and sleep like a baby for days......

Pumbaa said:
SODwhat can I say I'm wierd

Is this a reference to Stormtroopers of Death, The one-album-wonder of the mid-Eighties? That was a great album, and his later stuff (MOD, Method of Destruction) was pretty good too, I cannot remember the guys name (Dave- something?)

I also got into Suicidal Tendencies, but lately just listen to the Eighties channel or the radio stays off when both SWMBO and I are in the car.

Another obscure reference: anyone rember Lord Tracy (another one-album-wonder)?

Flyin' Lion said:
Is this a reference to Stormtroopers of Death, The one-album-wonder of the mid-Eighties? That was a great album, and his later stuff (MOD, Method of Destruction) was pretty good too, I cannot remember the guys name (Dave- something?)

I also got into Suicidal Tendencies, but lately just listen to the Eighties channel or the radio stays off when both SWMBO and I are in the car.

Another obscure reference: anyone rember Lord Tracy (another one-album-wonder)?

actually they have 3 but one is a live cd so I really dont count that one, but yeah . . . Stormtroopers of Death - Scott Ian, Charlie Benante, Dan Liker, & Billy Milano

Killer song I just ran across....I've never heard it before today. This is going to get played an awful lot in the bar. Whoa.

I linked the entire song to download (WMA) for everyone's listening pleasure. Give it a chance, it is only 3 minutes long. The lyrics are kick ass.

The Pogues--Hell's Ditch

Read the lyrics while you listen:

Hell's Ditch
Life's a *****, then you die
Black hell
Hell's ditch - naked howling freedom
The killer's hands are bound with chains
At six o'clock it starts to rain
He'll never see the dawn again
Our lady of the flowers

Genet's feeling ramon's dick
The guy in the bunk above gets sick