I'm getting pretty good at this...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hifidelity

Reaction score
After about 15 months and 16 batches of beer I can finally say that a truly love the beer that I'm brewing. My first few batches were mediocre to say the least...extract recipes from kits that weren't fermented at the correct temperatures- usually WAY too warm. I bought a chest freezer and temperature controller and it was a good investment- several more extract kits fermented at the correct temperature were pretty good, but still weren't something that I was proud to say I brewed.

A few months ago I invested in an all-grain setup, and threw in a wort chiller and oxygenation system to the order just for shiggles. My first couple of all-grain brews were merely ok. I was still trying to get a feel for how my system dealt with mash temperatures and my efficiency wasn't great, but the beer was drinkable.

My last two batches (not counting the one in the fermenting chamber at the moment) have been outstanding. I've learned a lot about my system and have taken a lot of notes and have read a ton. I can't get over how well my last two batches turned out, and I have trouble believing that I made them. I had one guy I didn't really know tell me "dude...I'd buy this" after trying my beer at a party.

By the way- this post wasn't meant to brag as much as it was to show how excited I am to have the investment of a little money and a ton of time in this hobby to finally pay off (figuratively).

this is interesting to someone like myself, who is going through the same trajectory (4 months or so brewing, did 8 batches with 5 Gallons each, and a few 1 Gallon batches) - I moved to all-grain a few months ago, and recently got a freezer, built a temperature-control so I can ferment at the right condition - haven't used it yet, my outdoor temperature is steady at 68-70F, and last batch I fermented was saison, which I let ride at 75ish.
I also build a wort cooler (a must with all-grain setup), haven't gone oxygenation route just yet. Probably will.

I do wonder how much of your improvement is due to better equipment and how much of it is simply due to gaining experience, better practices, etc.?

I am on the same path I made 15 or so extracts last year and now am doing all grain. The best improvement was the control of fermentation by a water bath, The next large improvement was all grain. Now I am kegging and. I can't believe how much better it taste. Now that I have about 15 all grains down I am beginning to understand some of what I have read. The hobby does pay for itself in satisfaction of Good beer that you made.:mug:

this is interesting to someone like myself, who is going through the same trajectory (4 months or so brewing, did 8 batches with 5 Gallons each, and a few 1 Gallon batches) - I moved to all-grain a few months ago, and recently got a freezer, built a temperature-control so I can ferment at the right condition - haven't used it yet, my outdoor temperature is steady at 68-70F, and last batch I fermented was saison, which I let ride at 75ish.
I also build a wort cooler (a must with all-grain setup), haven't gone oxygenation route just yet. Probably will.

I do wonder how much of your improvement is due to better equipment and how much of it is simply due to gaining experience, better practices, etc.?

That's a great question. Like I said- a lot of improvements in my beer were due to learning more about the process and getting better with it.

However, I have spent some money...a couple kegerators, 5 kegs, chest freezer, temperature controller, all grain setup in a box...it all adds up. (It's nice to be single and debt-free...)

I'm sure someone handier and thriftier than myself could have made beer just as good as mine with less money spent.

That's a great question. Like I said- a lot of improvements in my beer were due to learning more about the process and getting better with it.

However, I have spent some money...a couple kegerators, 5 kegs, chest freezer, temperature controller, all grain setup in a box...it all adds up. (It's nice to be single and debt-free...)

I'm sure someone handier and thriftier than myself could have made beer just as good as mine with less money spent.

it obviously depends on the circumstances. Someone with large temperature fluctuations would generally benefit from freezer/fridge as fermentation champers plus temp-controller but almost everyone would benefit from all-grain setup.

Then you have other angles - like:
Kegging vs. bottling is more of a preference and affects taste/quality marginally.

I am not ready to keg (not yet anyways), but thinking about it. I like bottles for aging some high-ABV beers and I like the idea of having some variety of older brews to choose from. So to me the key advantages of kegging is convenience (less time spent bottling), faster carbonation and the draft angle. But then you can't bring it to the party (unless you bring a whole keg) or send some to friends etc.

From my perspective, experience has the (slight) edge. Knowing what you are doing and paying attention to the (right) details is worth a lot. Then all-grain setup (my temperatures are very stable, if they weren't temperature control would win). Then fermentation chamber/t-control. Which can double as cellar/fridge when not in active use.

The distribution angle of bottles vs. kegs is secondary angle.

Congrats, now you're addicted.

I have made many beers that I think are close to commercial quality. Gotten many great comments on homebrew night at the LHBS.

You definitely need some basic equipment, beyond that it is all technique. Technique, of course, due to knowledge, and HBT can be huge in learning that.

If you're wise, technique / learning comes before buying equipment. I wish, for example, that I didn't have 10 glass carboys (prefer plastic BB now). I would have started with a large immersion chiller. But mostly, I have been good in buying the right stuff, and love my setup.

15 months and 21 all-grain batches in, (all-grain from the start) and I'm still as enamored with this hobby as I was building everything to get started. Congrats on your upgrade bud.

10 years lots of batches, 1 all grain mostly partial mash and extract. just got into kegging I love the beer I make, I think ive only had a couple flops due to over the top wacky ingredients.. had a run of cardboard flavoured batches but I think it had to do with all the transferring I did back then ( primary to secondary to bottling bucket to bottles) , I mostly make porters and pale ales, one day ill get into all grain when I have more room and time.

Back