IIPA yeast questiom???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kepo

Reaction score
I was thinking of ordering the Cascade Mountain Imperial IPA extract kit from Northern Brewer since I am only set up at the moment for extract. The question is I have the Chinook IPA that I used the Wyeast 1056 American ale yeast. Would this be a good yeast to wash and pitch to the Imperial IPA?? Or should I use one of the 2 I could select that come with the Kit? I believe they are the Wyeast 1272 or the Danstar American west coast ale yeast.

Thanks

Either would be a fine yeast for the IIPA, the 1056 actually has higher alcohol telerance (11%) but attenuation and temp range are close to the same, you may get a brighter clearer beer with 1272. It kinda depends on if you like the profile of 1056 or if you want to try something else.

COLObrewer said:
Either would be a fine yeast for the IIPA, the 1056 actually has higher alcohol telerance (11%) but attenuation and temp range are close to the same, you may get a brighter clearer beer with 1272. It kinda depends on if you like the profile of 1056 or if you want to try something else.

Thanks! I haven't bottled the Chinook yet so I am unsure of the flavor profile. I was hoping on saving money by reusing this yeast. I would rather pay a few extra bucks if it would make a difference but at this point this will be my 3rd batch ever and my first isn't even ready to drink. So I can't yet draw from experience. On another note it looks like NB is out of the 1272 so they made the decision for me.

Latest posts

Back