Ignorance or truth

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GunnyB

Reaction score
I bought a bag of 2-row brewers malt the other day and put it on the break room counter at work on account of it being 96 degrees in my car outside. A supervisor stated that I can't keep it there because the ingredients could be used to make a bomb. My jaw almost dropped to the floor. Barring the fact that I'm a police officer, is there any truth to his statement, or is it a case of ignorance?

I bought a bag of 2-row brewers malt the other day and put it on the break room counter at work on account of it being 96 degrees in my car outside. A supervisor stated that I can't keep it there because the ingredients could be used to make a bomb. My jaw almost dropped to the floor. Barring the fact that I'm a police officer, is there any truth to his statement, or is it a case of ignorance?

I'm going with a Sgt. blowing smoke up...

grain dust is quite flammable. but I would thing it would take a lot of effort to make a bomb with it. and it wouldn't be very effective. a silo would be a more likely place.

I know about dust explosions quite well. I'm dumbfounded because I'm known to be a home brewer. As for the dust, it would probably be easier to make it with a 2x4 and belt sander. I just know what happens next..."So, I heard that you are making a bomb"

A small quantity of grain will not produce enough dust to be dangerous. When people talk grain dust explosions, they're talking large quantities in tightly enclosed spaces, such as a grain silo or a windmill.

By your supervisors logic, all home brew shops are ticking time-bombs. So is the flour aisle in your grocery store. Utterly preposterous.

I used to know some Air Force EOD guys (explosive ordnance disposal) who joked that you can make a bomb with bat **** and fruit loops.

A small quantity of grain will not produce enough dust to be dangerous. When people talk grain dust explosions, they're talking large quantities in tightly enclosed spaces, such as a grain silo or a windmill.

By your supervisors logic, all home brew shops are ticking time-bombs. So is the flour aisle in your grocery store. Utterly preposterous.

This +1,000,000

Your supervisor better not allow anyone to bring metal in to the workplace... Afterall, the metal could be re-worked in to a bomb casing.

geesh.

This +1,000,000

Your supervisor better not allow anyone to bring metal in to the workplace... Afterall, the metal could be re-worked in to a bomb casing.

geesh.

Or if it is rusty ironl and dull aluminum you could make thermite...

I'm betting he read a story about a grain silo explosion and is ignorant to what it actually takes to have that happen. It can't be used to make an explosive on it's own. Now homebrew farts....that's another story.

OMG are you kidding me? Your a cop and you carry a GUN!!!! A small BOMB on your side and your super is worried about a freeken bag of grain? What a dork or a total control freak!

WOW good luck with that one....

Cheers
Jay

I used to know some Air Force EOD guys (explosive ordnance disposal) who joked that you can make a bomb with bat **** and fruit loops.

Leave out the fruit loops and process with a few other things in the correct proportions and bat crap can be made into an explosive. (black powder)

Damn... That's a shame. I'm LEO as well, and I generally have my ingredients delivered to work! (I'd hate for my yeast to set on my front porch all day in the heat while I'm working!! :) ) My Sgt. NEVER complains about it. Of course, he is the taste tester for all of my brews... Maybe your Sgt just needs to taste some of the finished product!

The dust also has to be mixes with plenty of air. The silo explosions happen when the dust is still suspended and floating around. Google around with flour explosions and you can find a guy sifting plain flour down a 3-4' cardboard tube onto a flame.

Yes this is true. Grain dust is so explosive that bakeries must have explosive licenses to make brownies. Grocery stores also must store flour in bunkers as we all have seen.

I can guess who he voted for too.

Gunny I am thinking that must just be a joy working for a boss like that. But there is a good side to it and that is you can store the grain in your car no problem. If you think about it during harvest it is often hotter than that and they store the grain in silos where it gets MUCH hotter than that. Then after the malting it is bagged and put into a semi trailer for days on end where it gets just as hot.

Yeast and hops now are a different thing

Your supervisor was just probably sick and tired of you leaving your sh*t all over the workplace.

Does your co-worker who wrenches on motorcycles in his spare time leave greasy carburetors in the break room?

Its a BS excuse though.

Your supervisor was just probably sick and tired of you leaving your sh*t all over the workplace.

Does your co-worker who wrenches on motorcycles in his spare time leave greasy carburetors in the break room?

Its a BS excuse though.

Maybe this. ^

Back