Igloo 7.1 cu ft FRF795 Black Keezer Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks great! How hard was it to paint it black?

Super easy. Buy epoxy spray paint for appliances at the hardware store. 2 cans will cost you like $7-$8. Just need to get some sand paper and sand it a little bit before applying. Also be careful not to over apply each coat so you don't get runs.

so i cant find any 2x pine board around me. and i dont wanna double up 1x. what other kinds of wood would do good here?

not a wood guy as you can tell!

so i cant find any 2x pine board around me. and i dont wanna double up 1x. what other kinds of wood would do good here?

The normal 2x wood in any hardware store (Home Depot, lowes) is pine. They call white fur or something else but it's pine. Just make sure it's untreated so you can sand and paint it yourself.

It can be tough to find 2x in 6-10 inch width for any wood type. I suggest using 1x and and backing it with rigid insulation. If you really want 2x, you might be able to get cedar.

It can be tough to find 2x in 6-10 inch width for any wood type. I suggest using 1x and and backing it with rigid insulation. If you really want 2x, you might be able to get cedar.

Do you mean 6-10 inch length? 2x6, 2x8, and 2x10 are fairly common in all hardware stores.

I made my keezer out of 2x8 pine on the inside and a 1x10 oak on the outside.

Do you mean 6-10 inch length? 2x6, 2x8, and 2x10 are fairly common in all hardware stores.

I made my keezer out of 2x8 pine on the inside and a 1x10 oak on the outside.

yeah, there is a whole row at home depot with 2x6 - 2x10

:fro:

hows that keezer flowing jj?

Have any of you guys tried hard mounting the original lid to the wood collar, then hinging the collar directly to the body of the freezer? I would like to do the build this way so the shanks and beer lines are out of the way when I open the lid.

My main concern is whether the hinges are strong enough to hold the added weight of the wood collar. Any insight is appreciated!

Have any of you guys tried hard mounting the original lid to the wood collar, then hinging the collar directly to the body of the freezer? I would like to do the build this way so the shanks and beer lines are out of the way when I open the lid.

My main concern is whether the hinges are strong enough to hold the added weight of the wood collar. Any insight is appreciated!

The way I've seen it done is use the hinges that come with the freezer on the lower hinges (attached to freezer and collar) and then use some sort of hinge from a hardware store for the lid to attach to the collar.

The way I've seen it done is use the hinges that come with the freezer on the lower hinges (attached to freezer and collar) and then use some sort of hinge from a hardware store for the lid to attach to the collar.

Yeah that's basically how I did it on a Frigidaire 7.2 build a few years ago. Just wondering about the strength of the hinges on this particular igloo model. Still have another week or so before I can see it in person.. Wal-mart delivery times suck :mad:

wait a sec, so we arent just removing the hinges, adding a collar and putting hinges back on? we need a second set?!

wait a sec, so we arent just removing the hinges, adding a collar and putting hinges back on? we need a second set?!

No only one set of hinges is needed. jjbanks was referring to 90 degree mounting hardware being used to hard mount the top to the collar.

I hinged both the collar and the top but then I built a 3 tap coffin top.

The stock hinges were used to hinge the collar and a second set of hinges purchased separately to hinge the top.

The second set of hinges on the top are optional if you're mounting the faucets in the collar. But I felt they were needed due to the weight of the tiled top along with the coffin. It has worked out well.

Rear jct boxes.jpg

I hinged both the collar and the top but then I built a 3 tap coffin top.

The stock hinges were used to hinge the collar and a second set of hinges purchased separately to hinge the top.

The second set of hinges on the top are optional if you're mounting the faucets in the collar. But I felt they were needed due to the weight of the tiled top along with the coffin. It has worked out well.
That answers my question perfectly. I plan to build a more traditional front faucet collar but if the stock hinges can support all the added weight of your coffin setup, I should be just fine. :mug:

Quick question for you owners: how's the reliability been? I ask because the reviews are all over the board on Igloo fridges/freezers.

That answers my question perfectly. I plan to build a more traditional front faucet collar but if the stock hinges can support all the added weight of your coffin setup, I should be just fine. :mug:

The stock hinges will be fine. You'll need to devise some sort of brace &/or stop to hold the collar open when working inside yet prevent it from opening too far.

Had mine for 6 months in the garage temp has ranged from 25°~110°

It turns ON 5 times an hour now that it is summer used to be around 1 time every 40 minutes. At 42° with a 3° differencial...

Trying to get it inside instead if the garage will update soon

Had mine for 6 months in the garage temp has ranged from 25°~110°

It turns ON 5 times an hour now that it is summer used to be around 1 time every 40 minutes. At 42° with a 3° differencial...

Trying to get it inside instead if the garage will update soon

lord, where are you located?! im socal at the beach, keezer is outside...not bad.

Happy days!! It's a good feeling isn't it? Do you have it stocked and pouring yet?

I like the dark stained collar against black. Looks great!
Sure do. I have a 1/6 of Fat Tire and another 1/6 of Eliot Ness!

Great thread. I currently have a simple freezer-top refrigerator I use with 3 taps in the door. I piggy back a ferm chamber by air tubing from the freezer section. It works, but I really want to use my woodworking skills and do up a nice keezer that I could keep in the house instead of the garage. The issue seems to be one of freezer volume and the number of kegs..... I could use the same technique to suck cold air out of the collar and into my rolling ferm chamber, so I won't lose that capability.

Has anyone considered laying kegs on their side inside the keezer? Yes, you'd have to replace the dip tubes with a floating pickup that wouldn't care if it was vertical or horizontal, but that wouldn't be hard. I'm curious to know if anyone has tried this. Will they fit lying down?

Can anyone who has built this please provide their total height of the unit as a keezer. I know there are a lot of variables like collar size, casters, or base. I’ll take what I can get.

Sams has dimensions as 35” high. Just wondering overall with modifications what it comes to height wise. I am sorta limited on space where I can put it and I hate to build a kegerator because I really want a keezer but our garage is getting cluttered and not sure the house has a good spot. Plus (thinking buying new) a chest freezer is likely better $$ spent.

Back