If you owned a brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fullstop22

Reaction score
If you owned a brewery that distributed beer and it was on tap at place you are patronizing would you buy your beer or one other than yours?

It depends on the situation, but I'd buy a different one unless the other options weren't to my liking. If all you drink is your own beer, how will you keep up with trends in the market? Not to mention, you are probably sampling your own beer everyday. I don't like to drink the same thing over and over.

The first few times I would just because of the excitement.

This. I would definitely buy my own beer at least regularly, but I wouldnt stop drinking other beers just because I owned a brewery. Isnt that why we get into this in the first place? Because we love beer? :):mug:

I rarely drink 1 beer when I drink so I'd probably order one of mine at some point but I doubt I'd only drink my own. I'd want other brewers to try mine as well so it's only fair that I try theirs. After all, variety is the spice of life!

I would probably be sick of my own beer by the point it gets distribution. I would taste whatever else is on tap to get a sense of my competition.

If you owned a brewery that distributed beer and it was on tap at place you are patronizing would you buy your beer or one other than yours?
It depends how successful I was. If I was established and just out having fun, I'd order somebody else's stuff. But if I was just starting out and hustling for every dollar, I'd take every opportunity for guerrilla marketing. I'd order my own, and then yell things like, "HOLY GOD, THIS IS THE BEST BEER I'VE EVER HAD!" and "ANYBODY WHO'S NOT DRINKING [X] IS PROBABLY REALLY TERRIBLE IN BED!"

I would buy other beers if I was already comfortably making money. Because why would I pay everyone else in the supply chain for beer I can drink for free/at cost? If I was new on the scene or worried about moving volume then I guess my own. And I guess I'd order my own if they didn't have anything else I liked, obviously.

I would try my own to make sure they were serving it from clean lines.

Then I would drink others that seemed like something I would want to drink.

^+1

My gut tells me that having my own brewery would be a lot of work and discipline. Drinking your own beer would show you how it ends up after your creation goes into the great big world. Afterwards I would ask the bartender a lot of questions like how long does it take to kick a keg of this, what are people's reaction to this beer, how do you feel about it etc.?

Back