Idiot new to Kegging - Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adkins220

Reaction score
So I just started kegging and I kegged by second beer (Pale Ale). Being new to kegging and in a rush when Kegging the beer, I realized late last night (while watching youtube videos) that I had jacked my keg configuration all up.

I had put the long metal tube (that sucks the beer out of the Keg) under the "In" hose adapter for the Gas. And I had put the small little metal tube under the "out" for where the liquid comes out. Not thinking and being in a hurry I force carbed at 30 PSI (Yes it sounded bubbly and for some reason I didn't think about it) and let it sit in the fridge. For around 24 hours. After going downstairs last night and releasing the pressure, swapping the configuration to be correct, I took a sample of the beer out to try.

The beer was obviously pretty much all foam (but to be honest tasted like a Pale Ale with Guinness head but little carbonation on the beer itself :rockin:). My question is, will this beer be ruined? I cranked it back up to 20psi and left if it in the fridge. Will it settle down and carb out?

The beer sat in the primary fermenter for right around 4-5 months but to be honest tastes great. (we recently had a baby and time slips by really fast) But I was just curious if this beer will carb up and pour right after the kegging fustercluck that occurred.

Let me know your thoughts.

I think it should be perfectly fine. I would just try to get some over the overcarbonation out. Shake-vent-shake-vent-shake-vent-etc. Once you have things below your target carbonation level, put it back on the CO2 at the correct pressure and wait a few days.

BTW - 5-6 months is a LONG time sitting on the trub. I've had things taste very off after only 2 months.

Like multiple juicy june beetles landing in the pot while boiling. Funny thing is that even though I'm sure a few of them were in there for a few minutes before I noticed (Stout, brewing at night, drinking beer) it still tasted fine. Must have been because it was mostly at the beginning so I only got bitterness from them, no flavor or aroma...

You'll be fine, carb adjustments in the kegging world are far easier to resolve than in bottling... Enjoy not cleaning 50 bottles by hand anymore.

Must have been because it was mostly at the beginning so I only got bitterness from them, no flavor or aroma...

:)

I had put the long metal tube (that sucks the beer out of the Keg) under the "In" hose adapter for the Gas.

not really a bad thing unless you are severing it, it does help to get the CO2 in the beer by pushing it thru with the long tube

Not thinking and being in a hurry I force carbed at 30 PSI

how long has it been on gas ? if you just purge the keg a couple times then set it to the psi for the right volume of gas you want it will equalize

It takes far more than this to screw up a batch of beer.

no greater truth

all the best

S_M

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the fast response. Makes me feel a lot better.

@syvmn - Yea, its a really long time to be sitting on the trub. I did two batches week after week including this one. My first one (cream ale) was ruined. This one surprisingly was not. I fully anticipated it would be trash. The interesting thing is on the cream ale was that the water in the air lock evaporated during that time. In the same room I was fermenting an "apple creation" and to my surprise the cream ale (bad cream ale) had a sort of apple taste to it. I wondered if it was just infection or something from the air where the "apple creation" was fermenting got into it and went wild.

Either way, it tasted like crap so I will be saving that for my dogs bowl to share with him. Wouldn't want to waste it.. :)

Thanks again guys for the fast response. This reminds me how awesome this forum is and that I need to brew more.

Instead of letting it sit at 20 psi, if it's in the fridge, I'd change that up and put it at the proper pressure for your temperature- probably about 10 psi. Otherwise, it'll be even foamier than it was before as it overcarbs.

Back