Identifying "wild" hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPDISXR4Ti

Reaction score
I live near an old mining community (abandoned in the 1920's when the mines shut down), and while hiking there the other day I found some hops growing. No idea if they are truly "wild" or a left-over from the mining days.

Regardless, I thought it would be neat to use them when I brew this fall, but I have no idea what variety they might be. Is there any way to determine that and/or approximate the IBU's?

Also, if I was going to try to dig up some rhizomes for transplant, what's the best time to do that - Fall or Spring?

Im having the same sort of questions, with an unidentified hop vine ready for harvest being offered to me. From what I gather, it is difficult based on appearances. Labs can do genetic work and figure it out. There are other ways, namely, smell the lupulin! Pull some of the leaves out and rub your fingers on the lululin (yellow pollen looking resin). From there you can determine some aroma characteristics..at least narrowing it down..

Fruity? Floral? Spicy? Piney or tree resiny? Citrus?

Also, if it looks like a really old patch, start creating a list of hops that generally were grown back then. I know Cluster is the oldest hop variety in the US..Cascade is very popular and has a fairly obvious citrus smell.

At the point you are stumped go visit some homebrew shops and bring them samples. Also, make a strong tea from a handfull, and smell and sip it.

^^^ Thanks for the input. I guess there's no "easy" way to figure this out. The area was first settled in the 1700's and was last inhabited about 90 years ago when the mines shut down for good. So certainly it's a hearty breed to have survived the past 90+ years without any attention.

I used to grow my own Cascades, but they didn't come with me when I moved 12 years ago. Can someone refresh my memory on what the optimal time is for harvesting?

There is no perfectly optimal time, you need to check the hops for ripeness. In case you forgot, if they feel slightly papery, then they are ripe. A little browning of the edges it OK. Harvest for me is almost over, but I still have some burrs developing. Since you're in NY, I'd say go get those hops now!

Harvested some of these today - very spicy and aromatic. Clusters?

I seem to recall that I should dry them out a bit before freezing for future use - yes, no, maybe???

Harvested some of these today - very spicy and aromatic. Clusters?

I seem to recall that I should dry them out a bit before freezing for future use - yes, no, maybe???

Definitely. Freezing wet hops will result in hop mush when you thaw them out to use.

And the odds are high that your "Cluster" SWAG is spot on...

Cheers!

Definitely. Freezing wet hops will result in hop mush when you thaw them out to use.

And the odds are high that your "Cluster" SWAG is spot on...

Cheers!

Thanks for the confirmation on the possible correct guess of "Clusters" and the drying. I've got the hops spread out on a couple cookie sheets sitting on the kitchen table. Is there a method to determine when they've dried out enough and/or a rough target on the number of days they should sit out?

I realize this pic doesn't tell us much, but I feel obliged to post it any way. :)

P9102856.jpg

Weigh them fresh, then try to get to ~20% of that weight. The time required will be dependent on the ambient humidity and whether they're just sitting there or you put a fan on them. It has taken around 3-5 days with lots of air movement to dry mine, but the humidity was quite high here at the time...

Cheers!

Weigh them fresh, then try to get to ~20% of that weight. The time required will be dependent on the ambient humidity and whether they're just sitting there or you put a fan on them. It has taken around 3-5 days with lots of air movement to dry mine, but the humidity was quite high here at the time...

Too late for the weight-reduction method since they've already been drying for a couple days. But I may go pick another batch - I can try using that method then. But really, they'll lose 80% of their weight!?

It was dry here until yesterday. Now it feels like it's mid-July for a couple days. So I'll just leave them out for 5 days I think.

Any thoughts on whether it's better to tightly pack them before freezing or leave loose and airy in a zip-lock bag?

The leaves should pull off with very little effort. If they are crumbling in your hand then you've dried them too much. If the leaves don't pull off easily then you can dry them a little bit longer.
I just harvested a guys hops Monday and I've finished drying some and put them in a freezer bag and sucked the air out from the middle with a straw. Then put that into another bag and sucked the air out.

I'm keeping some out of the freezer to sort of cure for a week or two and then I'm gonig to compare them.

"Any thoughts on whether it's better to tightly pack them before freezing or leave loose and airy in a zip-lock bag?"

Oxygen is not your friend in this case. Pack em tight and try to remove as much air as possible. A vac sealer is a great option.

Back