Identifying Off Flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Col_klink

Reaction score
Hi All,
I brewed an Oktoberfest recently and it came out with an off flavor to it. I did a d-rest as recommended. I think it has a vinegary off flavor to it. However, my brother sampled it and he said he thought it had a buttery flavor.

Do you think it is possible that my perception of the buttery diacetyl flavor somehow comes off as vinegary to my palate? I know that sounds strange but i just dont interpret the flavor as buttery. At the same time, my brother doesnt get the taste of vinegar at all. Just curious if anyone has any opinion/comments on the difference in 'flavor perception' my brother and I seem to have with this beer. Thanks for any input.

Cheers,
-Klink

vinegar is a very distinct flavor and smell. Did you try some diluted vinegar along side the beer? I thought a cider i made could be vinegary then as soon as I smelled vinegar again I knew it had to be something else.

Back