Identifying Beer Style

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andvari7

Reaction score
Good evening,

I must admit that while I seem to have the basic understanding of brewing, I can't seem to identify what it is I'm brewing. I know they're ales, because there is no lagering involved, and that they use top-fermenting yeast. So, I have a recipe, which is fermenting brilliantly - I switch to the airlock tomorrow (I'm using a blow-off tube, and thank goodness for it) - but I won't know what to call it, unless I know what it is.

In the interest of full disclosure, here is the recipe:

4 of Maris Otter
1 of Chocolate Rye

1oz. Amarillo - 60
1/2oz. Amarillo - 45
1/2oz. Amarillo - 30
1/2oz. Amarillo - 15
1/2oz. Amarillo - 0

Safale US-05

Yeah, it's a bit...plain...but after my last batch, which tasted of plastic, I have to figure out what went wrong. If I fail this one, I figure that I'm out about $12, which is not so horrible. If this succeeds, and I'm thinking that it will, because I'm fermenting in glass carboys (my 1g batches are done in glass, because glass is what I have), I'll do a more interesting recipe.

Anyway, I don't know what I'm brewing. I'm reading the wikis, and while they are informative, they don't tell me what I want to know. Would you please help me?

Thank you.

I don't know that what you are brewing is any "style." 20% chocolate Rye, with english base malt and american hops.... kind of a mix. If you are really interested in brewing and learning about specific styles, get the book - Brewing Classic Styles, and follow the recipes they have - that would be a great way to start. You can also go to this link on Homebrew Talk and get recipes for certain styles - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f82/

also - "fermenting in glass" has absolutely nothing to do with success or failure.

I don't know that what you are brewing is any "style." 20% chocolate Rye, with english base malt and american hops.... kind of a mix. If you are really interested in brewing and learning about specific styles, get the book - Brewing Classic Styles, and follow the recipes they have - that would be a great way to start. You can also go to this link on Homebrew Talk and get recipes for certain styles - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f82/

also - "fermenting in glass" has absolutely nothing to do with success or failure.

Of course not; but if I'm getting a plastic taste, I assume that fermenting in glass will make sure that doesn't happen again. Anyway, Brewing Classic styles, eh?

I only mention it, because if it does turn out well (which has nothing to do with the media in which I brew and ferment), I'd consider entering it in a homebrew contest in La Crosse. Since it follows HBA rules, I have to identify it as something.

Yes - but fermenting in plastic, does not make your beer taste like plastic - I ferment 100% in plastic. "plastic" is an off flavor - often due to chlorine in water, maybe high fermentation temps or possibly infection of some sort. check out this thread on similar topic:

EDIT - Ooops - wrong link. Try this one: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/plastic-taste-beer-303917/

What do you use for water and what do you use for sanitizer/cleaner?

you could enter it in "specialty", but even then you have to identify an underlying "Style" - maybe someone else could chime in, but I don't really know what you would enter it as exactly. The brewing classic styles book is a great resource for a straight up recipe book - basically has a tried and true recipe for every category and subcategory - one of the best books I have and quite helpful for a starting point in brewing any style.

Latest posts

Back