Ideas needed for a beer to leave in primary 6 weeks while on vacation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

green1181

Reaction score
I am going away for 6 weeks and would like to have a couple brews waiting for me. What would be a good style that I can leave in the primary that long? I have a fermenting fridge so can set it at any temp. I like. I was thinking of just getting a lager kit or doing an imperial IPA, would either one suffer if left in the primary for that long?
Thanks for any input!!

I would say a good candidate would be a big bodied beer with low hop /IBU. You can always dry hop the secondary if you want to up the Hopiness, but I would say a Porter or Stout would be my choice.

Anything should be fine sitting that long in the primary. I've had beers in a primary for a couple months before.

The main thing time really hurts is hop aroma.

A Belgian Tripel or Quad. I have always found Belgian yeast to be a little slow and when brewing a big Belgian beer a good amount of time in the primary is needed.

I agree with any style... But make sure you're home for the aggressive part of fermentation, or at least have someone check in on it. You don't want to come home to blow off all over the place.

I ferment in kegs and never have blow off, but since I ferment under pressure, I had an incident. I didn't tighten the hose and had a gallon of beer spew out. So just remember anything can happen...

First off, I wouldn't "Recommend" this if you can help it, but it isn't likely to be a big deal if you must.

Some things I would do first are to pitch the proper amount of yeast and to ferment on the cool side.

Then after the heavy fermentation is done, move the beer to the coolest place you can. Warmer temps will be worse for the yeast, and warmer temps are known to age beer more quickly than cooler temps.

Those are must good practice suggestions. Unless the temps were really warm, I would not worry too much about 6 weeks.

I agree with most any style, except maybe a hoppy brew where the taste and flavor might fade.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Hands down, you should do a Saison, with Wyeast 3711. It takes about 4-6 weeks for it to ferment dry, so no worries. Also, since this yeast like temps over 80, no need to even use temp control chamber on that batch

Since you said u want "several" batches waiting on you, just start a lager or two a few weeks out, then let them cold age in your temp chamber while u r gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back