Ideas for a strange brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Local town is having a beer festival in january called the Strange Brew festival. I want to enter and need 2 different brews. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I am already thinking of a sea water beer and or maybe an oyster beer. Let's get the creativity flowing! Thanks!

You could make a blonde stout by making a blonde and dry hopping it with coffee beans. Light colored beer with stout/coffee flavor surprises people.

How about bananas in the mash tun in a hefe,supposedly they convert no problem and leave a big banana taste.

Mushroom beer! I was reading an article today that mentioned Chanterelle mushrooms, extracted in vodka and added when bottling. Age it on oak for a full forest flavor :)

Saison so seem to come out well with a wide variety of fruit. Pick something unusual like kiwi, star fruit, kumquats, etc.

Ive got sn idea i was toying with still havent done it. Make standard wheat beer idk 5 # 2 row 5 wheat bitter and hop with tettnag to 20 ibu the toast some cherry wood chips instead of oak it should imoart cherry woodynes into the beer like it would smoke pork.

See water? I'll pass. Oyster? Interesting...I think flesh in beer is a completely under explored segment of brewing. Blood sausage works, why not blood beer?

You could also drink a bunch of bud light, collect your piss, purify it and brew something good. It'd be recycled beer.

A fun thing to do could be to brew a couple batches of the same beer and ferment them using yeast harvested from historic structures around your town.

See water? I'll pass. Oyster? Interesting...I think flesh in beer is a completely under explored segment of brewing. Blood sausage works, why not blood beer?

You could also drink a bunch of bud light, collect your piss, purify it and brew something good. It'd be recycled beer.

A fun thing to do could be to brew a couple batches of the same beer and ferment them using yeast harvested from historic structures around your town.

Nah, old news, that's been done for the last 3 years here.

http://pamplinmedia.com/pt/9-news/322291-201951-from-sewage-to-brewage-

Or something totally local. I've got a crabapple pils going now simply because I have crabapples in the front yard and was tired of stepping on them.

Back