Idea for Sparge/Recirc Arm and a general AG set up question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoplander

Reaction score
I haven't done my first AG batch and I am still in the "planning stages" of my set up. I tend to over-think things but after reading bad reviews on the Blichmann Auto-Sparge and looking at different arm designs, etc., I'm convinced there has to be a better way... I'm just not sure if it will work.

Could you use a SS (or other) ring with small holes in it for a sparge/recirc device? That's what they used on the larger scale brewing operation at a local brewery near me. I think it would be easy to fit to your MLT with hooks not unlike wreath hangers and, therefore, could be removable (and perhaps adjustable). The only thing I'm really unsure of is sanitation of such a device. What say you, HB Talk?

If I can think of a way to keep it clean (maybe build it in two parts?), I think I'll build it.

The other question that arises from such a design is: would it work with a gravity-fed system or only a RIMS/HERMS? After looking at RIMS/HERMS designs and the prices of components, I'm not sure I want to jump right in.

Which opens up my AG Questions. What has worked best for you on AG Brews? My set up will consist of 10 Gallon round cooler MLT and HLT and a Keggle (15 gallons?).

Thanks HBers!:tank:

So, first, you don't need to do much to keep it clean. . . it's just running water. As long as your water is clean, it's gonna be clean. :D Plus, everything going through it is going to go through the boil in an hour or so (at the most) so. . . it's gonna get sterilized! :D

Second, keep it simple. You don't need a complicated system - all you're trying to do is to stop the water from traveling vertically (and thus channeling down through the grain bed) and to get it to settle on top (thus forcing the sweet wonder-water aka wort down through the grain bed and out into your boil tun). I use a straight copper pipe, pinched and soldered at one end, with a row of holes. It sets on top of my cooler and dribbles water out - works for dough-in as well as fly-sparging. The pinched end points down so as to keep the pipe from sliding back and falling off, and the holes don't extend past the edges of the cooler. . . ultra simple, ultra cheap, and it works really well.

I built a simple sparge arm out of 1/2" pvc. Just drilled some small holes on the bottom, 1/8" I think. Used it on my last brew and worked like a charm

412406_607195934383_266330549_o.jpg

I recirc (HERMS) and my favorite has been a siphon sprayer. Very simple setup and inexpensive. Before that I used a copper manifold with slots cut in it but it kept clogging with grain particles.

No need for a sparge arm... just run your recirculation tubing back into the MLT and lay the tube on top of the grain bed. Absolutely nothing wrong with doing this. Maintain about an inch of water on top of the grain bed and you will be golden...

Thanks for the replies, everyone. As always, I need to remind myself to KISS. I told you I tend to over think things. Cheers!

No need for a sparge arm... just run your recirculation tubing back into the MLT and lay the tube on top of the grain bed. Absolutely nothing wrong with doing this. Maintain about an inch of water on top of the grain bed and you will be golden...

^^^^ This ^^^^

Edit: Yikes, just realized how old this thread was...

Back