Idaphor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbw

Reaction score
Just a quick question. I've limited my use of this product to mixing it into a spray bottle and then spritzing the stuff I cleaned the last time I brewed as well as any surface or item that the batch may come in contact with.

Are other people using it more at the primary sanitizer, for example mixing it into a gallon or two of water in a wort bucket after cleaning? Just curious.

I mix up 5 or 7.5 gallons in a carboy or bottling bucket, let it sit for two minutes, then dump it into another bucket and use that to sanitize everything else I need. I don't spritz anything...everything that needs to be sanitized gets immersed for two minutes, then drained/air dryed upside down.

I think I probably go a little overboard.

That's the way I use it too.

I may be wrong, but I don't think Iodaphor is spray bottle material. I think Iodaphor is only good for 24 hours or until it becomes clear.

San Star/Star San would be a good product for a spray botttle since it lasts a long time.

Interesting.

Another question, if you use that to sanitize, what do you use to clean with first? (I'm assuming this is a 2 part process where I clean with c-brite and then use the idaphor when ready, as described).

Thanks again!

I clean with soap, rinse like hell with tap water, and then sanitize with iodophor. no need for fancy cleaners as long as you can rinse your cleaner well and sanitize with something of decent quality.

my $0.02

-walker

Robbw said:
Another question, if you use that to sanitize, what do you use to clean with first?
I clean carboys with bleach, unless they're really nasty, in which case I use PBW. Most everything else I clean with just dishsoap, except new bottles with labels which I soak in Oxyclean. Regardless of what I clean with, I rinse obsessively, and then rinse again.

homebrewer_99 said:
San Star/Star San would be a good product for a spray botttle since it lasts a long time.

One Step claims that it would last virtually indefinitely in a closed container in the fridge. So, if you kept it in the fridge, it would make a good spray bottle sanitizer.

cweston said:
One Step claims that it would last virtually indefinitely in a closed container in the fridge. So, if you kept it in the fridge, it would make a good spray bottle sanitizer.

virtually indefinitely = one month (according to what I have read).

Plus, you have to let it warm up before using it for it to be affective.

This is all based on my reading, so take it with a grain of salt. I've never actually used the product myself.

-walker

El Pistolero said:
Worse than a royal...an Imperial PITA methinks. :mad:
Still, for the magic it's worth it. Cold water doesn't seem to have much effect...have to use hot water. I usually follow it up with a light bleach sanitation which I also rinse super well, so hopefully that gets it.

El Pistolero said:
I mix up 5 or 7.5 gallons in a carboy or bottling bucket, let it sit for two minutes, then dump it into another bucket and use that to sanitize everything else I need. I don't spritz anything...everything that needs to be sanitized gets immersed for two minutes, then drained/air dryed upside down.

I think I probably go a little overboard.

Well, if there's one place your going to go overboard, sanitizing should be it right? I also soak in Idaphor, then rinse with very hot tap water. So far, so good. :)

beyondthepale said:
Well, if there's one place your going to go overboard, sanitizing should be it right? I also soak in Idaphor, then rinse with very hot tap water. So far, so good. :)

I don't want to start a Holy War, but if you are using a no-rinse sanitizer (like Iodophor) then you are arguably un-doing the work of the sanitizer by rinsing with tap water.

I was always skeptical of these no-rinse sanitizers until I just bit my lip and forced myself to not rinse the Iodophor away after sanitizing with it. I'm VERY happy and don't think twice about it anymore. No rinse for me baby!

Saves time, reduces risk, doesn't affect the beer at all. :)

-walker

Walker said:
virtually indefinitely = one month (according to what I have read).

Looks like you're closer than I was...here's their claim from the Logic, Inc site

(http://www.ecologiccleansers.com/whyOS.html)

How long is the One Step solution good for?

Many factors come into play in answering that question. One Step works by producing hydrogen peroxide in solution, so the most important thing is to keep that peroxide. Peroxides are degraded by organic soils, light, and heat, so if you keep your solution away from those things, it will stay better, longer. In a closed, dark, and clean container, the solution will last up to 1 week. In a closed, clean container in a refrigerator, the solution is good for over a month (but let it warm up before you use it).

cweston said:
I don't even place it in the fridge. I just use it a couple of times then it's down the drain.

Iodaphor? I just use it for the day.

homebrewer_99 said:
I don't even place it in the fridge. I just use it a couple of times then it's down the drain.

Iodaphor? I just use it for the day.

I've never saved sanitizer, either. Although if I used One Step, which is a little pricy, I might consider it. I'd be worried about effectiveness, though--I don't see how you'd really know if it was still good or not. (Unlike Iodophor which loses it's color when it's no longer good.)

I've read many articles on all the sanitizers. I've tried them all and still have them on hand.

I find myself switching - not knowing which one is best.:confused:

The San Star says it's good for a long time as long as it's clean, but I have no way of measuring the Ph. If I swish it around a bit and get the bubbles up, that does not really tell me if my Ph ratio is good.

The Iodaphor loses its color within the hour and is no longer any good after 24 hours.

The powdered crap leaves a residue, etc.

I used bleach for years, but if you don't rinse it well enough your brew ends up with a vinegar taste.

I've been using Iodaphor for a while and figured if I use it over and over for a day it's served it's purpose and I can dump it.

Other than that...I'm at a loss.

beyondthepale said:
I also soak in Idaphor, then rinse with very hot tap water. So far, so good. :)
Yeah, what Walker said...it just doesn't make sense to rinse a no-rinse sanitizer. Either you trust it, or you don't, and if you're comfortable with hot water from your tap, then don't waste your money on sanitizer.

I use Star-San until it turns cloudy and have not had an issue with it. It will frequently last me for an entire brew cycle from mash to bottle/keg. I also keep a 1g jar of it for things like bottle caps, airlocks, hoses, etc.

BeeGee said:
I use Star-San until it turns cloudy and have not had an issue with it. It will frequently last me for an entire brew cycle from mash to bottle/keg. I also keep a 1g jar of it for things like bottle caps, airlocks, hoses, etc.
That's the problem with Star-San...some tap water turns it cloudy when mixed. This way I can never tell if it's still good to use.

homebrewer_99 said:
That's the problem with Star-San...some tap water turns it cloudy when mixed. This way I can never tell if it's still good to use.
I see...I don't seem to have this problem with my water. I've also noticed it doesn't foam up very vigorously once it gets cloudy...another indication to dump it.

for those of you who use bleach, you can get strips that test the parts per million of chlorine in a solution...i use iodophor and usually rinse my carboy once after draining it of the iodophor/water solution. everything else i let air dry as per directions, it just seems that when i drain the carboy the iodophor foams up a bit, and this makes me paranoid that some residue might be left behind, and i feel that it would take like an hour to air dry, so i compromise and rinse it once, and let it dry for about 15 minutes...

Milwaukee cheesehead here,

I use OnStep to clean, Bleach when I store my carboys the rinse everything with iodophor/water solution before my brew touches it. Is that OVERKILL to the extreme? :mug:

i mix the star san with distilled water which was suggested on the site i bought if from.
it said mixed with distilled and sealed it is good for a month or until turns cloudy

Ivan Lendl said:
for those of you who use bleach, you can get strips that test the parts per million of chlorine in a solution...i use iodophor and usually rinse my carboy once after draining it of the iodophor/water solution. everything else i let air dry as per directions, it just seems that when i drain the carboy the iodophor foams up a bit, and this makes me paranoid that some residue might be left behind, and i feel that it would take like an hour to air dry, so i compromise and rinse it once, and let it dry for about 15 minutes...
I do the same exact thing for that very same reason!

Back