Ice on the lake? Can anyone help me with this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micky5752

Reaction score
I've had this problem ever since I started using my new fermentation chamber made from a 6 foot chest freezer. I've drank 15 gallons of beer that has had this on it and they all came out great.... I recently started using Starsan instead of OneStep to ensure it's sanitized, but I just transferred this last week, and here we are again with this skim on top of the beer. Any ideas as to what it may be?

DSC_0017_zps1cacf383.jpg.html

DSC_0019_zps8cec03f5.jpg.html

What yeast strain are you using? The white chunks are likely yeast and the skin on top is likely hop oils.

I used US-05. It was a Hop Bursted with about 10 oz from 30 min down. I just don't understand why my Two Hearted Clone did the same thing about a month ago? Anything to be worried about? It smells normal, actually amazing with all those DownUnder hops in there? I drank the Two Hearted and its really good, just wondered if you think it might be some sort of infection? Thank You!

Agree with others, there's nothing wrong here. There's often floating yeast in my fermenter after fermentation is complete.

Did anyone look at the earlier pictures? That doesn't look like any yeast I've used. Looks more like what starts growing on top of samples I forget in the garage for too long. What do you use for transferring? It's cheap to replace tubing. Also, don't forget that there is a difference between cleaning and sanitizing and the products used to do each.

I use a 1/2 AutoSiphon that i always clean with Oxyclean, flush with water, and then I always run a couple fills of StarSan through it. It's about 2 months old too. I may just go and get some new tubing, perhaps that is the problem. Wonder if purging the air out with my Co2 tank after I transfer might help avoid this problem.. Thanks for all your input. I just get worried that all of that hard work is gonna go down the drain!

Micky5752 said:
I just get worried that all of that hard work is gonna go down the drain!

It's going down the drain, one way or another. I just hope it's through me first 😎

Latest posts

Back