Ice cold distilled water to rapid chill wort??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrishWalsh

Reaction score
I've been creeping these forums for a while now and am a few batches into brewing. So far we have had decent success!

My question, is that last batch I made I took 3 bottles of distilled water, which I assume to be sanitary having been boiled, put them in a cooler FULL of ice about 2 hours before the boil started. After the boil I added the ice ice cold distilled water to bring it up to 5 gallons. It was IMMEDIATELY at 75 degrees.

Is this to good to be true?

I haven't tasted this beer yet aside from a little sip during bottling. I didnt pick up any "off flavors" but it's a cocoa/chili beer so I might not.

Anyone have any insight into adding ice cold distilled water to rapid chill and reach 5 gallons?

Nah, works quite well! I've never had any problems using that method. I'd say on with it!

Although you probably want to be lower than 75 for pitching :)

Oh ya I waited a bit before i pitched. I was just shocked at how well and rapidly it took it to 75.

I've got a nearly limitless supply of ice as I have a 800lb machine at my business so it looks like no expensive wort chiller in my future. Maybe next time I'll salt the ice and get the water jugs even colder yet. Thanks for quick response.

In the summer, I freeze up boiled water in glass containers equal to about a gallon. I use my Chiller and then when it gets to about 90, I start throwing them in. It brings it to about 65 degrees or so when I am done. Really speeds things up.

In the summer, I freeze up boiled water in glass containers equal to about a gallon. I use my Chiller and then when it gets to about 90, I start throwing them in. It brings it to about 65 degrees or so when I am done. Really speeds things up.

This is what I've been thinking. I can get to 90 easy, but really waste a lot of water to go lower.

spray the outside of the jug and cap with starsan before you open it and never look back.

Oh ya I waited a bit before i pitched. I was just shocked at how well and rapidly it took it to 75.

I've got a nearly limitless supply of ice as I have a 800lb machine at my business so it looks like no expensive wort chiller in my future. Maybe next time I'll salt the ice and get the water jugs even colder yet. Thanks for quick response.

Next time - try sitting your boil pot in a sink or tub full of ice, whirlpool it for a few seconds while it's still steaming hot. After about 5 minutes, you will drop temp - and then try dumping in your chilled top off water. I'll bet you're seeing closer to 60 degrees and pitching yeast in no time.

I've been curious about this. I wondered if it'd be easy to throw a bunch of ice in the wort after flameout to try and lower the temp quickly. The heat of the wort would kill off nasties and the ice would hopefully lower degrees a bit fast.

Latest posts

Back